Talflows Air Filter

Ron

The Talflows tank top air filter was made by the Talboys Manufacturing co. I've just acquired one from a batch that turned up in Pakistan. I've decided to fit it to my M20 just to have something different. The original Vokes on my M20 will be moved to another bike. 

Here is a photographic record of how they were found....A bit bent, twisted and rusted. I've managed to get the four top screws and the three brass adjustable feet undone. I've stripped the base part, knocked some dents out and heat shrunk the base to get it near flat again.  Ron

Talflows 6.jpg

Talflows 5.jpg

Talflows 9.JPG

Talflows 10.JPG

Talflows 3.png

Strangely, the screw on carb adapter is far to big for a 276 carb? I measured the thread with a vernier and it's 1/8" too big. So what on Earth carb was it designed for?  I've got another adapter coming which should fit the bill.   Ron

Ah Ha! It's been pointed out to me that the elbow was not connected directly to the carb. There's a short intermediate  joining tube, which would be extremely hard to find or make. So I'll stick with my plan of fitting it directly to the carb with a different adapter. Same as a Vokes filter.  Ron

000 India Office BSA (3).jpg

Indeed Richard, that is one of the M20's Prepared for the India Office. Presumably they were delivered with the Talflows fitted. The MoS ledgers quote that 13,472 air cleaners by Talboys were sent to Indian in 1943. No wonder a small haul has been found. Ron

000 India Office BSA.jpg

I've finished the Talflow. I cut some new felt for the filter by using the old manky one as a pattern. I forgot to take a picture before I buttoned it up. I've just got the holding straps to make from a cardboard template.

If anyone is interested, I've now got this good quality repro Vokes, surplus to requirements. The elbow is also repro and the plate is one of the latest from "Vintage Brass Plates" £390. PM me off line is best.   Ron

DSCF3489.JPG

DSCF3494.JPG

DSCF3490.JPG

DSCF3491.JPG

I think the Vokes were originally Felt. But I use suitable size grommets from "Vintage Supplies" . I have these ones which I think will fit the bill for the Talflow. They have hollows for the feet to sit in. Ron

DSCF3495.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My own thoughts are that unlike the Vokes filter that were standard issue or fitted at the factory, the Talflow's were shipped out to the far east and fitted as required. 

I'm always willing to learn more.  Ron

PS Steve. The way I read that is "no pictures have been seen so far" with the date 2020 of the publication of that article. Maybe email Rob for confirmation. Other wise I do have a complete Vokes here, selling for Lex!!

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1