Talflows Air Filter

Ron

On 2/8/2021 at 3:29 PM, Ron said:

I've finished the Talflow. I cut some new felt for the filter by using the old manky one as a pattern. I forgot to take a picture before I buttoned it up. I've just got the holding straps to make from a cardboard template.

If anyone is interested, I've now got this good quality repro Vokes, surplus to requirements. The elbow is also repro and the plate is one of the latest from "Vintage Brass Plates" £390. PM me off line is best.   Ron

DSCF3489.JPG

DSCF3494.JPG

DSCF3490.JPG

DSCF3491.JPG

Hi Ron. Out of curiosity, where did you get hold of the replacement felt?

• 3 weeks later...

They are a bit bigger than a Vokes, but do make a good talking point. Like me Steve. Why the hell not?? I've even made my own interpretation of the knacker protector that is clearly visible in one picture (but without good detail)

So many other guys fitting these horrible great dated canvas discs to their filler cap necks......Which never happened!!   Ron

DSCF3678.JPG

Talflows 2 (2).jpg

I made some longer adapters, like on the India office picture.

The Big 4 seems to have had a Talflow elbow, but not 90 degrees (more like 110?), have to adapt one for mine, and cut the tank off, and reposition the filler cap, luckily I found another tank last month.

Lex

IMG_2198.jpg

Prototype 03.jpg

Well the air is sucked in the front and has to pass through all the felt baffles on route to the out spout. The whole cage is also covered in felt from front to back. Considering the bikes left the factory with no filter at all, I guess it must work as well as the Vokes which has a series of felt tubes.

Also being tank top filters, they are high up away from anything that is emidiately stired up by the wheels. Ron 

Talflows 1.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Thanks Ron, I had no idea these normally ran with no filtration. It doesn't look a great filter compared to a modern paper one, felt doesn't go all the way across as I would expect it too, but it must have done its job. I've never owned a motorbike let alone driven one, so no experience to draw on!

This is what you got on a lot of WW2 bikes. Just an open trumpet. Some had a token bell mouth filter as standard, but it's design was as a flame trap rather than a filter.....But it would stop a bee entering your engine. Ron

BSA IWM (7).jpg

CO 013.JPG

• Like 2