Q. Re the Army Scaling and Cataloguing Authority

Old Git

Does anyone know what happened to ASCA (Army Scaling and Cataloguing Authority), which used to be located on on Ha-Ha Road, Woolwich. IIRC they were still there as late as 2009 but can find no mention of them anywhere now, and MoD Switchboard professes ignorance of all matters ASCA. Presumably they've been merged, renamed, moved or some such thing but does anyone have any concrete info on there current whereabouts/nomenclature!

Edited by Old Git
spolling

ASCA was based at other sites apart from Ha Ha Road, including Chetwynd Barracks, Beeston, Notts. It was amalgamated with Land Services Technical Publications Authority (LSTPA) in the 1990s, to become Army Technical Support Agency (ATSA) and subsequently became part of Defence Logistics Organisation (DLO) around the turn of the century. When DLO moved to a new base in Andover, with a large detachment in Abbey Wood, Bristol circa 2002, the old ASCA sites were closed, with many staff, myself included, made redundant.

I apologise for the vagueness regarding dates, but it is a long time ago and my memory was never very good.

Steve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-boy said:

ASCA was based at other sites apart from Ha Ha Road, including Chetwynd Barracks, Beeston, Notts. It was amalgamated with Land Services Technical Publications Authority (LSTPA) in the 1990s, to become Army Technical Support Agency (ATSA) and subsequently became part of Defence Logistics Organisation (DLO) around the turn of the century. When DLO moved to a new base in Andover, with a large detachment in Abbey Wood, Bristol circa 2002, the old ASCA sites were closed, with many staff, myself included, made redundant.

I apologise for the vagueness regarding dates, but it is a long time ago and my memory was never very good.

Steve.

Steve, thanks for that mate, that's exactly what I hoped for. I can now try my hand at finding what I want. Incidentally, do you know anything about/where they kept documentation like P/CES or S/CES. Was it stored on Microfiche or on mainframes before the advent of the PC?

1 hour ago, Old Git said:

Steve, thanks for that mate, that's exactly what I hoped for. I can now try my hand at finding what I want. Incidentally, do you know anything about/where they kept documentation like P/CES or S/CES. Was it stored on Microfiche or on mainframes before the advent of the PC?

I'm afraid I can't answer that one. I joined Army Scaling Authority just before it amalgamated with Army Cataloguing Authority to form ASCA, so I dealt with the wrong side of the organisation for CESs. 

Steve.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-boy said:

I'm afraid I can't answer that one. I joined Army Scaling Authority just before it amalgamated with Army Cataloguing Authority to form ASCA, so I dealt with the wrong side of the organisation for CESs. 

Steve.

Thanks for the reply Steve, I was more wondering about the process than the actual documentation itself, i.e how and where they kept/organised master copies of technical documents in the days before PC's became commonplace. I'm thinking I've got a better chance of finding it at TNA if I know what format it was stored in at transfer. Probably a forlorn hope on my part!

It seems ATSA are no longer a thing either though it may be that they've come under DE&S in Bristol, I've emailed them to find out!

I was at the front end of the process of scaling; setting up the projects and liaising with manufacturers, so didn't have any dealings further down the line with the output, and although I suspect microfiche was the storage medium, I can't be sure.

As for ATSA, that name disappeared when DLO was formed, and we became a division of DLO. I heard some gossip that DLO was moved from Andover to Bristol (Abbey Wood) and that the new build at Andover had been done so that HQ Army Land Forces could make an excuse to move from Wilton. All very underhand. Anyway, I believe everything that was ASCA/ATSA is now in Bristol, so good luck with your search.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...