W&P Security

Larry Hayward

It might be an idea to have some volunteer patrols round the place to deter thieving. If they grouped the vehicles more effectively you could get enough volunteers in one area to watch their patch of similar vehicles. (Sadly EMLRA to which I belong were dispersed all over the place this year but we usually look out for each others Kit.)

One problem with a patrol would be if they saw someone 'adjusting' something on a vehicle. How would they know it was the owner? Perhaps W&P could write vehicle registrations on the arm bands of vehicle owners and their passengers.

But I suppose all this depends on when the thieving is carried out - is it at night or is it anytime and is it mostly carried out on vehicles left after the show?

Why shouldn't that show organisers do it? For the prices they charge at W&P someone has is using gold plated spanners. When the public are in, yes take care of your kit, but the behaviour of some exhibitors during the evenings would get them arrested outside the feild.

Trouble is that you don't know who is about to knick your stuff...

On one of the evenings after the public had gone (& it was still dry so earlier in the week!) we were making our way back through the stalls towards the beer te... food stalls. After a wander through the Soldier of Fortune stand we started looking a the stall next door when a very respectable looking lad (clean well dressed etc) wandered casually out of the SOF tent with his coat slung over his arm... one of the SOF guys nabbed him outside who must have been watching him, pulled his jacket off his arm and low 'n' behold a brand new pair of Corcoran Paratroopers boots (about £90-£100) stuffed under his arm!! :schocked: The SOF guy took back the boots and sent the guy off with a flea in his ear (showing considerable restraint actually... i'da made him eat 'em!)

At that point i thought... this guy is obviously camping here, possibly a vehicle owner, or with one, or a reenactor... which is a bit unnerving for those of you who take your vehicles and displays... Its sad that there are clearly so many enthusiasts who are prepared to steal from each other. :-(

I'm surprised the SOF guy did not call security and get his name and details so at the very least he would be known to us all even if the Police were not involved!

Which reminds me I did see that one of the weapons stalls had their white van broken in to at night, as it was being dusted for finger prints when I passed, so if it wasn't the same guy there was another thief amoung us at W& P

I'm surprised the SOF guy did not call security and get his name and details so at the very least he would be known to us all even if the Police were not involved!

Which reminds me I did see that one of the weapons stalls had their white vans broken in to at night, as it was being dusted for finger prints when I passed, so if it wasn't the same guy there was another thief amoung us at W& P

There was a load of Kalashnikovs stolen from that van and found in the river cray at sidcup, right by where I work :-o

Why shouldn't that show organisers do it? For the prices they charge at W&P someone has is using gold plated spanners. When the public are in, yes take care of your kit, but the behaviour of some exhibitors during the evenings would get them arrested outside the feild.

Slightly off topic, but you say the prices thay charge at W&P, where else can you have 2 weeks holiday for 25 quid :dunno:

Just a thought - how would anyone at W&P know if a member of the public decided to stay there after the normal closing time?

Surely it's possible to turn up on day one of the show and camp there for the week, perhaps in some empty corner? Who is going to notice if a person turns up at the gate with a ruck sack containing a small tent?

Also is the perimeter secure or is it easy to get over?

Just a thought - how would anyone at W&P know if a member of the public decided to stay there after the normal closing time?

Surely it's possible to turn up on day one of the show and camp there for the week, perhaps in some empty corner? Who is going to notice if a person turns up at the gate with a ruck sack containing a small tent - and is the perimeter secure

It happens all the time... public just buy a small tent & sleeping bag at the show... they can't secure the perimeter as they hop farm is crossed by public footpaths.. there were no pikeys this year though..