Land Rover Vehicle Self Recovery Kit inc. Winch Anchor and 4 x Traction Mats

Surveyor

14 minutes ago, MatchFuzee said:

No idea what is in the black bag.

Ground anchor:-

DSCN7808.jpg

Thanks for reply and even better a picture, now i can see how it's to be used, i see to holes in the plate, would that be used to fasten the "pin" so it does not jump out, if so with what?. 

These items are NOT for Land Rovers, they are part of the CES for Mastiffs when on operations, the item in the Black Bag is another Traction Mat, these items are big, the stillage that they are in is 1 metre X 1.2 metres, and heavy, approx 100kg for the set, I know as I have moved a lot of them from CES kits when the Mastiffs came back from Afghanistan.

Also beware of the Rudd Snow Chains for Land Rovers sometimes offered by Whitham as they are from Mastiff CES as well, so they are far too big for a Land Rover.

There were 3 Snow Chains ( not 3 pairs) and 2 Traction Mats each comprising of 1 mat, 1 anchor as in the previous post, 1 webbing strap and 2 carabiners, the straps and carabiners are missing from this set, and quite often were missing from the CES kits when the vehicles were returned.

We sent hundreds of these Traction Mats and Snow Chains to Whitham for disposal, so buyer beware these items are for BIG vehicles only.

Edited by johnwardle
Extra text added

3 hours ago, Surveyor said:

Many thanks, 

No problem, I didn't want you to waste money on something that wouldn't be any use to you. By the way, the Folding Solar Battery Chargers that Whitham have on their auction site aren't worth buying either, they just don't work! It took us over 3 years to get rid of them!

Surveyor, the ground anchor for a winch is knocked in at about a 45 degree angle. The eye bar is held in by the tension of the winch line. The two holes are probably to put bars in to get the thing out again afterwards.  Big they may be, but for winching , you can never have a ground anchor to big! 

34 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Surveyor, the ground anchor for a winch is knocked in at about a 45 degree angle. The eye bar is held in by the tension of the winch line. The two holes are probably to put bars in to get the thing out again afterwards.  Big they may be, but for winching , you can never have a ground anchor to big! 

Tony, these anchors are not for winching, they are for securing the traction mats to allow the vehicle to get out of soft ground, they are attached to the traction mats by a webbing strap and 2 carabiners which are missing from the set advertised. Mastiffs don't have winches fitted.

4 hours ago, Tony B said:

Got it! Mind you would still make a good ground anchor for a winch. So was the technique to chain the anchor to the rear of the vehilce and pull it along after the vehicle was clear?

No, the technique is to place the traction mat as close to the stuck wheel as possible, unroll it then attach the anchor away from the vehicle then drive on to the traction mat. The anchor is to stop the traction mat from sliding under the wheel when the power is applied.

10 hours ago, Tony B said:

So vehicle gets to end of mats and stops, not over then pulls behind like sand ladders? Intrested as they look like could be useful on tractors and some agricultural kit.

Wonder if there is film on how they are used, couldn't find from a quick look

21 hours ago, Tony B said:

So vehicle gets to end of mats and stops, not over then pulls behind like sand ladders? Intrested as they look like could be useful on tractors and some agricultural kit.

That's it Tony, the traction mats are quite long, they are long enough to take all 3 axles of a Mastiff. On the subject of sand ladders, they are now called 'Traction Aids' and are supposed to be laid on the ground and driven over with no means of attaching them to a vehicle and no anchor provided. The only vehicles that currently have them as part of the CES are, Foxhound, Husky, Jackal/Coyote and RWMIK+.

1 hour ago, MatchFuzee said:

That's exactly how they are used. They obviously bought some from Whitham and believed their description. As I mentioned earlier, these traction mats are only issued to Cougar variants when on operations, some CES lists state 'Op Herrick only'.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, johnwardle said:
16 hours ago, MatchFuzee said:

I'll see if I can find a Mastiff operators manual and copy the relevant pages.

The reference for the document would help

21 hours ago, utt61 said:

I have a set fof use with my Defender (mats only, there are better options generally for securing them). They work well, but by heck they are heavy!

Yes they are heavy,  we could only send 20 sets at a time for disposal ( max 1000Kg per box). I handled hundreds of them when the Mastiffs came back from Afghan, most were covered in Afghani dust that stank. 

• 3 weeks later...