Slimmer than usual WW2 Snail Brand spanner

rustyaustinchamp

Question

Both spanners in the photos are the same maker and same year but of different designs.

I have a few wartime Snail Brand spanners and usually they are heavy, well made items but the one I found a few days ago has a parkerised finish and is slimmer than the normal ones (see top example in the photos).

IMG_6563.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

Does anyone know if there's a reason for this?

Thanks

Martin

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

9 answers to this question

Both spanners in the photos are the same maker and same year but of different designs.

I have a few wartime Snail Brand spanners and usually they are heavy, well made items but the one I found a few days ago has a parkerised finish and is slimmer than the normal ones (see top example in the photos).

Does anyone know if there's a reason for this?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

The slim spanners are often useful when working with two spanners on pipe unions, a thick one on an adaptor interferes with the pipe nut, hence the need for a thin one. I have a few of these slim Snail Brands and use them regularly. You often find the need for a slimmer one.

cheers

Richard

I have some of these thin spanners in Snail and other makes, right up to the present day. As Richard and Ruxy suggest, useful for locking nuts, pipe unions, adjusters in awkward places, or anywhere where there's a reduced height fastener and a component or other fastener a full thickness spanner might interfere with.

Normal term is a 'tappet spanner' , Snap-on now term them 'low torque' and IIRC mark the LTA range as such

That's interesting. I was taught yonks ago a tappet spanner was twice the length of a normal spanner with a normal spanner being 10 times the jaw width. All the online definitions quote the same thing for a spanner as a tappet spanner i.e. "[n] a wrench having parallel jaws at fixed separation (often on both ends of the handle)".

I guess the English language is being watered down......... Is a bastard file still one or is it just a naughty file now

That's interesting. I was taught yonks ago a tappet spanner was twice the length of a normal spanner with a normal spanner being 10 times the jaw width. All the online definitions quote the same thing for a spanner as a tappet spanner i.e. "[n] a wrench having parallel jaws at fixed separation (often on both ends of the handle)".

I guess the English language is being watered down......... Is a bastard file still one or is it just a naughty file now

===

Yes , some 'tappet-spanners' are extra long - BUT not all by any means, I have the odd one that will be abt. x 2 normal length. I suppose most marked as Tappet are WW2 era. supplied with kits for specific engines.

This will be the USA Williams spanner manuf. - I have the odd Williams tool in recent years , IIRC they are now part of the Snap-on empire

http://alloy-artifacts.org/williams-supercompany-p2.html

NB quote. - and longer shanks to avoid hot engine parts (sounds a bit aero-engine needed quick for the next raid sortie)

I suppose the double-length was for holding convenience & access on side-valve tappets - for somebody who knew the limitations of the marking , I can only think of Snap-on who presently supply and they are aimed as a universal with the warning 'Low Torque'.

Edited by ruxy
speling