Jump to content

Tomo.T

Members
  • Content Count

    419
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

Tomo.T last won the day on February 28

Tomo.T had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

16 Good

About Tomo.T

  • Rank
    Lance Corporal

Recent Profile Visitors

4,341 profile views
  1. The oil pump has been reinstated after a last minute rescue by Mike and Stan. I won't go into details, it is far too distressing. Suffice to say it is back in place and working well. Also fitted up the primer tank for extra bling. The mag platform appears to support only the outer fixing holes, which I find rather odd, but it must have worked ok like that ? Next step is to get the sump and timing cover fitted , which will require some more nuts and bolts, usable originals are running low. Also have been running on vapour financially and need to get some w
  2. Here are some further hi def pics from Stan. The spark plug towers are the originals, except one, which was replaced by Mike Lewendon. The three originals were cleaned up by hand and young Ben Lewendon took on the locking rings and made a good job of them ! Cheers Ben. The exhaust valve caps are beyond repair and Mike is on the case with some replacements. Oil level gauge and breather are back on. Plus Rosso's oil pressure regulator. Looking good Dave ! T.B.C.
  3. Another burst of progress has occured and the engine is looking ever more lovely, as various trinkets have been replaced. I was warned to nip up the inlet and exhaust manifolds with the cylinder base nuts loosened, to insure alignment between the separate blocks . This was done, but no movement was detected and all the bits have cosied up nicely. I need to find some old style gaskets for these which I hope will take up any slight discrepancies. The originals were asbestos, with thin brass foil each side, so I need to find suitable replacements, in more socially acceptable m
  4. Thanks, yes it's really coming together now.👍
  5. It's been a long time coming, but build up day finaly arrived and we had a pile of bits waiting to go. Fitting the pistons was straight forward enough, remembering to stick the base gaskets down first, also the Gudgeon pin retaining clips needed to be poised in position underneath their slots. With Stan on the fork lift the cylinders were gently lowered and the rings individually compressed by hand. There is a substantial lead chamfer, which helped considerably with this. The upper piston of the two was supported on wooden slats to start with and these were removed
  6. I arrived at the workshop to find Mike busy slotting the built up camshaft on his newly acquired CNC mill. The mill was enjoying it's breakfast and quickly produced the required slot. I replaced the gear (and the cam followers,) before refitting the camshaft into the crankcase, being sure to match up the timing marks again. This is an awkward procedure and the two bushes must be aligned to fit the locking screws as well. In the absence of a trained octopus, this took a while, but eventually everything was lined up and locked down. We celebrated with a trial run, wi
  7. No. 4 con rod has arrived back from his holidays and has rejoined the team on the crankshaft. Some problems were encountered settling in parts new and old and Stan took over the job for a bit of engine whispering. Stan discovered various problems, including mis placed shims, which had been individually fitted, but not marked to their original positions. This created a good puzzle, which was further complicated by slightly oversized big end bolts, causing pressure on the bearing cups and shims. Some 'easing' was carried out and one by one the big ends were made to r
  8. The last batch of Miller acetylene lamps was supplied to the War Dept. in 1924, they are easy to identify as the year was embossed into the top vent, along with the WD and arrow. Unlike electric lamps the brightness could be adjusted by Turning up the gas.
  9. A lot of uncharted territory here and considerable differences from the 'Subsidy' model, which was in full production not long after this was supposedly built ? I wonder if it was an experimental model, (J 04) later sold off to the colonies ? Engine mountings are straight forward enough on later J types, all you need is some heavy 3 inch angle iron as shown here. The other side is just a 1" whit diameter pivot, which supports a bushed rocking bar between the two engine mountings, thus providing a bit of 'give' when the chassis flexed. If you have a 1 inch hole at thi
  10. On further reflection, The worm drive diff looks more like an early J type.
  11. I'm already in over my head tbh. I have seen pics of one other chassis with raised cross members in NZ, which is also unidentified. It's certainly pre war and quite rare I would think.
  12. I looked it up and the good book says L4 (30 hp) engines were fitted to H, early J and K models. The M4 was a longer stroke ( 6 inch instead of 5 ) which boosted output to a massive 40 bhp !
  13. I think that may be a K type Thornycroft, fore runner of the J, with an L4 engine, which was upgraded to the M4 for the J & X series.
×
×
  • Create New...