Abbot starting problems

ianevans

Hi , Looking for some ideas . Abbot wont start , tried to turn over once then nothing . not even clonk from starter motor solenoid. took engine services plug out and dont get 24v for starter . tried new cable same . DLB start solenoid pulls in when starter button is on . Any suggestions ??

thanks Ian

Do you get 24V on pin 21A of the DLB, when the starter switch is pressed? My guess would be dirty or worn contacts on the starter relay inside the DLB, it's pretty agricultural with contacts open to the air.

Starter Circuit.jpg

(I know the diagram says not FV433, but there really isn't any difference!)

Andy

Nice picture Andy. That makes it easy to follow...................

How do they manage to put so much spaghetti in 1 box?

Practice, I suspect! :-)

The starter relay is actually an afterthought/modification. When they swapped from the old axial starter motor to the later S152 coaxial motor, the starter switch on the driver's switchboard wasn't up to the job so they had to add a relay (and 25A breaker) in the DLB.

Andy

Hi All , Many thanks for all your help and advice , have cleaned DLB solenoid contacts and am getting 24v at the engine services cable at pin A on a test bulb, right at the pack marriage panel. sadly still nothing so am resigned to pull the pack and take starter off and either replace or repair.

Thanks Ian

I would still check the gearchange inhibiter switch before pulling the pack. Just because you have 24v at the engine junction box doesn't mean the amps are getting through.

fv433starter01.jpg

I would also say that when you operate the start switch the "additional" relay as Andy has mentioned, but would operate as it is before the inhibiter, and would complete its circuit.

If you look at diagram, the relay is a poor addition by hand (centre of pic by TB3) and an asterix marks where the inhibiter is located in the circuit.

Dougy

It could be frowned upon, but I suppose the simplest way to tell if it is a pack side problem is to put a good known 24v source to A on the engine junction and the starter should operate, but only do if your confident, deliberate and have taken precautions if it should try to start, lots could go wrong!

Dougy

I see what you mean about the position of the inhibitor switch, I hadn't realised that. I wonder why they did it that way?

Andy

I was speaking to David H about it last night, he suggested that it could be because the fv433 and fv434 have additional start switches. The only flaw is, do Abbots have a second switch?

Dougy

I was speaking to David H about it last night, he suggested that it could be because the fv433 and fv434 have additional start switches. The only flaw is, do Abbots have a second switch?

Dougy

Excellent piece of deduction! Yes, Abbots do have a second driver's switchboard, seen here (unplugged) on the front fighting compartment wall at the edge of the unpainted piece of Trakmark beside the fire warning light.

IMG_2059aw.jpg

Andy

I have 24v at the gear lever wires when i try the start toggle,as the engine junction box is below the fans and impossible to get to in situ i have decided to pull the pack ,it needs the mud cleaned out from the hull anyway and i might find and cure the small hydraulic leak at the same time . will keep you posted as to what the problem is . Thanks for your help

Cheers Ian