AEC O854 Coles Crane

16svt

Hello JP

I have my albums here under Mike Dennis & Doctor Cheapo - so you can see what I get up to - and I'm also a member of Rust Bucket - The New Zealand Meccano Federation's Forum. ---If you are a Meccano enthusiast or want to return to the hobby you would be welcome to join us.

http://www.nzmeccano.com/image-30750&frompage=2

I returned to it in 1991 and **in my opinion as an engineer in real life as well as a model engineer ** - since Spin Master bought the company a few years ago all the Plastic stuff they produce today & one model sets are a like toys and crap ideas so it is looking more like Lego - You will see however, some interesting models, sets, Manuals, history and loads of other information.  

• 1 month later...

Hi

Good work on the restoration. I have some manuals for Coles cranes from my garage clearout.,

Operating Instructions for S410. Spare parts schedule for model S710 S410 S1210 S96404 Diesel Electric

Operators manual Argus 'C' 35' Jib plus a few others. If these are any help and you are near the Slough area give me

a call before November 5.

On 10 January 2016 at 8:58 PM, 16svt said:

Lifting class 50 radiators of 1 1/4 ton.

IMG_2351.jpg

I would like to say that the lifting I have done was all on a none commercial basis. It was a private lift for a friend on his private locomotive. No money changed hands and it was nothing at all to do with the company I work for.

Class 50 rads, fitted and roof going back on, with rad fan to be fitted later.

IMG_2372.jpg

Apologies for raking up the past; I have come late to this thread.

Would that Class 50 be "Thunderer" by any chance?

Edited by mtskull
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 2:21 PM, john1950 said:

I would love to but empty pockets. I have seen at least one with manual outriggers.

By any chance was that Bob Oliver's  (High Etherley) along with his hinged manual extension  ?      It was still working circa.  1985+

• 1 year later...

Anyone out there know if the Cole Cranes used any engines that had SL5 type starter motors and, if so, what engine was it?  I have a starter that is supposed to have been for a Cole Crane but can't find anything on the net to confirm.DSC03454.JPG

3 hours ago, IanW said:

Anyone out there know if the Cole Cranes used any engines that had SL5 type starter motors and, if so, what engine was it?  I have a starter that is supposed to have been for a Cole Crane but can't find anything on the net to confirm.DSC03454.JPG

Could be for the Perkins engine fitted to the post war AEC/Coles cranes

Think you could be right. This image from a Perkins SL5 on an Ebay listing, has the nose piece fitted 90 degrees round but also has a different number of teeth. Apart from that it does look identical. Presumably just affects access to the cable terminals

s-l500.jpg.a87e5288d384c3c5fd049e46985914d8.jpg

29 minutes ago, IanW said:

Think you could be right. This image from a Perkins SL5 on an Ebay listing, has the nose piece fitted 90 degrees round but also has a different number of teeth. Apart from that it does look identical. Presumably just affects access to the cable terminals

s-l500.jpg.a87e5288d384c3c5fd049e46985914d8.jpg

I think the Perkins in the AEC/Coles Mk4 bridging cranes was a P4, that starter looks familiar.

Not sure what an SL5 engine was ........

13 hours ago, IanW said:

Ian,

Just noticed the writing on the flange "23/25 crane". This could relate to the Coles 23/25 Hydra Husky crane. The army had Hydra Husky cranes at on time, but I don't think they were 23/25 models and they were fitted with an AEC 505 engine.

Richard