Hi from France

pogo001

Hi,

I am English, but I have lived in central France for 10 year. I took a shine to a Willys jeep a friend had, and a few weeks later, on a whim, have just collected a 1961 Hotchkiss M201. I dont know much about ex military vehicles, but have owned very many classic cars, and generally repair them and restore them myself.

It has been used for many years in the forests of the auvergne collecting wood. It has a new french MOT, valid for 4 years for a vehicule de collection, and although a little tired , I drove it home over 100 miles. I found it very unnerving to start, but by the end of the journey, had already warmed to it, and really enjoyed the drive.

There are plenty of things to do to improve it, but most will be done over winter. I got it at a steal, I think, along with a set of 4 new Michelin tyres and wheels, full weather cover, and a huge bullbar and winch attached, but this im not keen on, so will be offering this for sale on some french sites.

I have a list of questions, being a total newcomer to the jeep, so will be a frequent poster.

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty again.

Paul

I would post a photo, but tbh, finding this site a little tricky. How do you attach a photo?

Also, I want to post some general restoration questions, but cant find a section to do this. Would I post in the american vehicle section, even though officialy its a french vehicle?

Hope someoe can start me off in the right direction.

Paul

Thanks, I hope I have managed to attach some photos.

Not quite St Tropez here, but argueably as beautiful. I bought the jeep from the central Massif, the middle france mountains, and the 180km drive home, although long, was wonderful.

I live in the most rural, least populated area, the roads are so empty, when cycling the other day, we counted vehicles that overtook us on the 70km route.....only 8. Its ideal for the jeep, especially a newcomer like me getting used to it.

I have the doors, but it got a bit hot on the drive home.

Jeep 063.jpg

Jeep 064.jpg