Canadian Ferret Monument

robin craig

I thought I would show this here just for the record.

It is a significant vehicle in my opinion.

It is located at Canadian Forces Base Borden in Ontario, Canada.

If you want to take photos permission has to be obtained to avoid problems s the building behind is sensitive.

I visited recently and made arrangements.

The colour scheme etc is not accurate and they have done the best the can with what they have.

Regards

Robin

Ferret Mon 2.jpg

Ferret Mon 1.jpg

The top is closed to prevent the ingress of water and snow, quite a common modification when preparing a Ferret as a monument or Gate Guardian in Canada. Bren Carriers have it done this way also.

Prevents wayward souls from using it as a haunt or place to sleep off a skin full after being in the mess, stops birds from nesting etc.

From street level you cant see that it is filled in.

The bin sides are smooth sheet steel as the bins are rotted and these vehicles have been out of service since 1981 and a chunk of plate is easy and expedient and the funds for such monuments are tight.

What is of real significance is that this is only the second Ferret that I know of currently with the later production sloped side hatches that was in Canadian service.

I will be obtaining the hull using a remote viewing technology later down he line.

Robin

Robin

lot of DIY and maybe mixed parts ? .. it looks that done for monument use

but

..it has triangle hatches .....

early depression stop rail attachment points ...pre 1959 hull ?

rear plate has canadian jerry can bracket holes and strap attachments ?

maybe this sounds rivet counting

but

also there is a small plate welded on the front.. you found something interesting

pekka

Dear Pekka,

I am all about rivet counting on these vehicles.

The plate on the front is missing whatever was on there as a plaque and shows evidence of sand blasting.

The vehicle has recently been spruced up.

There is another giveaway detail that confirms the Canadian connection but I will share that later

Robin

Steve aka Capt Max and everyone else,

I am no expert, an enthusiastic amateur is a description that sits better with me.

The M series lights are wrong era on the front and back compared to what was in service but are merely representative of the species.

There has been for many years been the folklore spread that only square hatched vehicles were in Canadian service.

That is the myth I am slowly breaking down, one detail and one vehicle at a time. This monument is significant in that process.

Robin

Robin

i have noticed that canadian ferrets seem to have individual rear end plates...like finger prints

and over the years holes (reg plates and jerry can brackets) are made in the local workshops

...and straps attachments

so if you could find pics or etc. info about those ...

also it seems that canadians received or borrowed some of the British Army ferrets

and maybe Candian Army did no have to return them back due to some reasons ? :=)

pekka

• 1 month later...
Robin

also it seems that canadians received or borrowed some of the British Army ferrets

and maybe Candian Army did no have to return them back due to some reasons ? :=)

pekka

That's kind of an interesting theory as the Australian Army did that on several occasions e.g. the 'other country' deemed something uneconomical to repair and the Aussies repaired it, or we just pinched it

I guess Robin will track the hull numbers back to the contract. Always interesting to see the different quirks Robin finds.

And another thing easily noticed is. There are a LOT of external fittings missing. Which probably explains why the later

Pattern of lights are fitted to this Ferret.

Better astheticly to fit lights, than no lights at all.

As the appropriate fittings are not on this ferret. it would indicate the difficulty in sourcing them.

As well as the problem of finding the correct pattern of lights to go on it.

Such a shame this specimen was not put under a covered shelter. It COULD have been then easily kept as a running

Example. :embarrassed:

The plate on the front hull that Pekka mentioned. MAY possibly have been a Raised mount for a brass dedication plate?

Not uncommon on Museum Vehicles in some cases.

That's kind of an interesting theory as the Australian Army did that on several occasions e.g. the 'other country' deemed something uneconomical to repair and the Aussies repaired it, or we just pinched it

I guess Robin will track the hull numbers back to the contract. Always interesting to see the different quirks Robin finds.

In British Service, in some theatre's. Dependant on the length of time & how hard the vehicles were used.

It was in some cases deemed uneconomical to ship the Vehicles / Equipment's back to the UK.

So they were 'Gifted' to that country.

It would have cost more to ship back than the cost of a Major overhaul. & they might have been at the end of their planned Life Expectancy.

In Afganistan / Iraq. There are 'tales' of vehicles being 'disabled'. And then simply buried in the sand to 'dispose' of them!...............Now, where did I put my Shovel?...............:-X