wot6 1943

wot6 1943

hi i am a new member to the hmvf i have a question to ask ,about a problem that i am having with one of my truck after taking it out of winter storage and getting it ready for the season. as i know there is a great deal of knowledge out there on this forum .

Well here it is i have a 1943 wot6 running the standard v8 and standard fordson axles and shocks .took the truck out on the road just for a short run only to find that it has got whats like a death wobbel on the front end it was running fine then all of a sudden it started to shake the steering wheel and feel like the wheels were lose,i slowed the truck down to a crawl which helped to stop the shaking and after a quick check of every thing on the front end to make sure all was right and there was not some thing worked loose, i started off again there was a very slit shimy which then went away ,i kept the speed down to under 20 mph to get her back to the barn safely. i have never had this before with this truck or any others that i have so i not sure were to look or what to look for to track down what has made this happen .i have parked her up for now and will take a more closer look at things this weekend ,as there is know way that it can be used doing this or go on the road like it .

the truck was at 30mph on the speedo at the time and had just gone over a rough bit of road surface before hand ,the whole cab and truck shook it is not a thing i what to happen again.

if anyone out there has had this happen and managed to sort it out before could tell me were to start looking ,as of this moment it looking like working through the front axle and bearings tractor joints tyres and steering ,track rod ends to see if there is anything needing replacing or ajusting plus the tyres as there is not much you can do on a wet sunday after noon after being shaken up buy this .fingers crossed someone out there maybe able to give some pointers

If the vehicle has sat and not moved, there are two things come to mind. One is tyre pressure, the other is a flat spot on one or more tyres due to the long time weight on one spot. There may also be one or more brake shoes sticking.

Edited by Tony B

double check it's not in 4wd as you might be getting wind up. the normal symptom is stiff steering but it could make the wheels shake. if it is wound up then jack up any wheel off the ground to release the tension then select 2wd.

hope you find the fault

rick

Try jacking the front up and spin the wheels by hand . See if there are any binds or nasty noises. Though if it was jacked up all winter, check spring bushs. Under the axle they would have carried full weight. Under the spring atachment they have been in compression.

Check the shocks are working freely as well.

Edited by Tony B

I'm not sure what type of shocks you have on the WoT 6 are they Luvacs or the small round Ford piston units ? Tony's point about the shock absorbers is worth considering. I had this once with a 109 FFW it was fine until it hit a rough bit of road and then it developed front wheel tramp enough to give you blurred vision.... not a particularly nice session.... on closer inspection I found the offside shock had failed, new shocks on the front solved the problem.

You say that you have never had this problem before with this truck? so it may be worth coming at the problem from a different direction ie if it was fine mechanically when you stored it away for the winter it is highly unlikely that the problem will be a mechanical failure much more likely as others had suggested a leak, flat spot, or deterioration issue.

Good luck let us know what you find

Pete

I had this twice with a Jeep.

First time, i found play in the sector shaft from the steering box. Rebuilt it and the problem went away. Second time it was a slight buckle in the front wheel. Again this was changed and the problem went away.

I'm afraid it could be a number of things but certainly front end and accociated with steering and wheels. Tyre pressure following storage would be an obvious thing to check first, but you will be luckly if its just that.

Best of luck...hope you find the problem soon.

Richard

on my m62 if you forget to take it out of 6 wheel drive the trucks drives fine then suddenly it goes into a bouncy death wobble....very very dangerous wind up...it could be so many other things but if you say it drove okay for a period it does sound a lot like wind up...