WWII tank in modern conflict

OZITIM

A news paper article in Queensland Australia, reporting on the conflict in the Ukrain, shows the attached photo, as evidence of Pro-russian tanks rolling into the city. The situation must have got dire over there, because if they are now fighting with the tank shown, they are really drawing on their old tank arsenel stocks. It just goes to show how the media can use a picture to inform the ingorant public.

Regards, Tim

IS3 russian tank.pdf

Here is the Youtube link. I doubt this is the same tank as that shown in the news article. The youtube clip doesnt show this one self propelling. Either way, its a ridiculous thought that they would seriously consider using these tanks in modern conflict. Just media hype again.

You would be supprised, some countries still use the Lee Enfield against the Ak as they can engage at greater distances, even the Americans kept the m14 in service as their m4/m16 didn't have the range against the older bolt action weapons in Afghanistan.

Whatever the truth, I am impressed that they managed to get it started. It seems to come with its own smoke generator as well.

I suppose it would still have value in an emplacement against lighter armor, I cannot imagine that it would go far without more major renovation.

trevor

Jolly good show..... what..... Jerry is here here and here! That was my faultless impression of a British officer, while playing with a captured Sten. Again, it went into the pit for destruction.

As did all the other wonderfully preserved firearms. All of these were being used in the Somali civil war in 1993.

sten.jpg

captured wpns3.jpg

captured wpns4 - Copy.jpg

capturedwpns.jpg

30cal - Copy.jpg

Im probably getting a bit off track here, but here are some more WWII guns found in North East Africa in 93. I would love to have these in my back shed. Not being an Artillery man, I really dont know what they are. Maybe someone on here knows. Im sure they are still being used somewhere in Africa.

oldgun.jpg

105s.jpg

155.jpg

bofars.jpg

bofars2.jpg

As for the twin Bofors (I think), I found those in a Village in central Somalia. Their was three of them, in a triangle formation around the village, and effectively camouflaged by large trees (as seen in the photo). I basically patrolled into the village on foot, having no idea, that I was walking into such a dangerous predicament. The villagers were immensly proud of their gun emplacements, and I was pretty certain, due to the speed in which they could load and unload the gun, many a person had fallen prey to these guns. Fortunately for me though, they spared me on that day.

A great collection of photos Tim...Thank you for sharing....

It was a lifetime ago. 22 years now. But Somalia gave me my passion for historical military vehicles. That place was dripping with them. They are still there, and impossible to retrieve. One day, hopefully the country will see peace and we will hopefully see some old armour appear again. But most likely , it will be sold for scrap metal, at the first available opportunity to make some quick cash. Maybe we should be doing a public awareness campaign, explaining to people the actual value for a a good T34 or MG34 (of which I found many mint examples). But, I guess not too many people would be willing to do a leaflet drop around the country. haha

Im probably getting a bit off track here, but here are some more WWII guns found in North East Africa in 93. I would love to have these in my back shed. Not being an Artillery man, I really dont know what they are. Maybe someone on here knows. Im sure they are still being used somewhere in Africa.

some great photos, thanks for posting

I had heard on the news over here (a while ago) that one of those "re-activated' relics attacked a Ukrainian Army road block. It didn't have a working main gun so only MGs were used. It might be the same JS-3 the Ukrainian Army captured. From what another news article published, the sepratists got the idea of raiding museums & monuments for arms from watching youtube videos of WWII tanks sitting in parks, part of war memorials being brought back to life by MV clubs or just curious mechanically minded persons(?). Here is a youtube video I'd bet was some of the inspiration for them:

Matt

I had heard on the news over here (a while ago) that one of those "re-activated' relics attacked a Ukrainian Army road block. It didn't have a working main gun so only MGs were used. It might be the same JS-3 the Ukrainian Army captured. From what another news article published, the sepratists got the idea of raiding museums & monuments for arms from watching youtube videos of WWII tanks sitting in parks, part of war memorials being brought back to life by MV clubs or just curious mechanically minded persons(?). Here is a youtube video I'd bet was some of the inspiration for them:

Matt[/quote

8 minutes into the movie, they have the manual out and stand around scratching their heads. No matter where you are in the world, nothing changes.

Yeah I noticed that too. Kind of cool seeing that old Soviet technical manual. That video predates the Ukrainian crisis and I think it is some sort of MV club (or museum vol. group) doing the recovery. Notice the Military tank transpo that comes in to pick up the assault gun. Also, if they were rebels, I don't think they would have demilled the gun.......Impressive seeing how the last time that machine ran was in the 1950s..

Matt