WWII tank in modern conflict

OZITIM

Just been announced Ukraine are about to get seventy five or so SAXON's. (What do we send to them we don't like!)

I think they are the type of people like some on here that can fix anything........Youtube has some great videos check on there for ARMY TANKS STUCK IN MUD

Yeah I noticed that too. Kind of cool seeing that old Soviet technical manual. That video predates the Ukrainian crisis and I think it is some sort of MV club (or museum vol. group) doing the recovery. Notice the Military tank transpo that comes in to pick up the assault gun. Also, if they were rebels, I don't think they would have demilled the gun.......Impressive seeing how the last time that machine ran was in the 1950s..

Matt

These guys are speaking Russian. I can't tell what their motives are in starting this relic, but when they flip through the manual at 8 minutes into the video, they are NOT looking at it to educate themselves on what to do; it's more of a novelty, like leafing through a Playboy magazine you found when you were 14. At 25 seconds, he throws a gas tank and says they snagged it off a "Sherman". Another funny line, at 1:12, he grabs a sledge hammer, saying "this is left over from Soviet times" and is "the most important tool we have". These guys demonstrate the key attribute of Russian mechanics... they fix anything with a paperclip and few hand tools. And these guys are not pros!!

Don't know what the situation with that particular vehicle, but there was a video posted online that showed an IS3 being fired up, allegedly by pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine. Haven't seen anything to stand it up though.

I can't help thinking this using WWII tanks is just some sort of propaganda exercise. The "separatists" don't seem to have any problem sourcing modern Russian armour ...

Andy

These guys are speaking Russian. I can't tell what their motives are in starting this relic, but when they flip through the manual at 8 minutes into the video, they are NOT looking at it to educate themselves on what to do; it's more of a novelty, like leafing through a Playboy magazine you found when you were 14. At 25 seconds, he throws a gas tank and says they snagged it off a "Sherman". Another funny line, at 1:12, he grabs a sledge hammer, saying "this is left over from Soviet times" and is "the most important tool we have". These guys demonstrate the key attribute of Russian mechanics... they fix anything with a paperclip and few hand tools. And these guys are not pros!!

I never claimed that they were Russian (or Ukrianian) All I wrote was that the video pre-dated the current crisis over there.

Matt