GMC C7D042 Ex USAAF Truck 1984

Bandit

A while ago I had the idea of turning my Jeep Cherokee into a truck/trailer queen, im always breaking it at offroad events and my other half is always worried how we are going to get home with a busted Jeep and caravan, so the search began for a recovery truck capable of carrying the Jheep and towing the van.

I happened upon a vehicle whilst trawling the net which I truly lusted after, but my sensible head engaged gear and the vehicle was sold, unusually I would be sort of gutted that I didnt get what I wanted but on this occasion I wasnt overly bothered and didnt think too much about it, we went away two or three weeks after to an offroad event and I did have a little think that I wish I bought the said vehicle but once again it went out of my head, whilst returning from the event an email came to my phone saying an item I was watching had been re-listed, when I got home I had a look on the pc and found the truck I nearly bought had indeed been re-listed, this time I didnt let it get away.

I was so excited, mixed emotions that I got it but also wondering what on earth I done, am I absolutely barkin lol ??

Anyway after a couple weeks and with the help of a highly recommended heavy haulage company the truck arrived at my place, the previous owner needed it gone from his yard but I was unable to move it as it would have been totally impractical and imprudent and illegal to do so, a call from the Boss of the haulage firm who I really didnt know suggested for no extra cost to lift and recover my truck to his secure yard and once a suitable backload was found they would transport my truck to me, I wasnt in a major hurry for it so I thanked him for his generous offer and drove up to complete my purchase and see the truck onto the step frame.

Im not one for giving my cars or vehicles a name but this truck deserved one,

meet The "Recovenator"

fe57b353-c5b2-4fda-a49f-bf822c74438b_zps4043cd38.jpg

Since I bought it I have really gotten into the idea of its military history not that I know about that, it is different to how it was, I gone military mad lol and Im really looking forward to displaying it at whatever shows I can make it too and I think the truck will be awesome once I have gotten it back to its original military colour that it was sprayed in from new which is hidden under the hideous matt black paint that has been thrown at it, the chassis and running gear appear to be in tiptop condition however the cab is in a bit of a mess and needs quite a bit of work.

If its ok with the forum I will post up quite a lot of pics of the work as it progresses, I host the pics offsite so wont be taking up forum space, I have some more to put up but ill do this another time.

Tim.

Edited by Bandit

that will be quite useful :D

just having a quick google image search would it be an earlier model... say 78 and 84 was the year it was released or did they keep the same grille for several years?

and yes more pictures

Edited by fesm_ndt

The Chassis has been around for years spanning 1966 to around 2003, this cab design was used from the 70's up to around 1991, this truck was built 1984 and completed by Michigan Mounting Corp 1984.

For me this Truck is deceivingly larger than the advert pictures showed

40145a29-717d-436a-a4e9-4cce4b464e9a_zps18acb6d9.jpg

Put the Cherokee on board as a comparison.

The drive line is seriously heavy duty, Eaton through tandem axle drive with difflock driven by a V8 Detroit 8.2L Turbo Diesel Fuel Pincher and Allison 5 speed automatic transmission.

IMAG0533_zps82c6448c.jpg

IMAG0525_zps3398ab19.jpg

IMAG0526_zps6081a334.jpg

IMAG0524_zps4b925c48.jpg

IMAG0523_zpse1be27b0.jpg

IMAG0481_zps09918929.jpg

And yes initial caution to the wind was thrown and when I first seen it I sort of wondered what on earth I done but you know, you only live once and this is like a thrill ride for me so im so glad I have it, cant wait to get it roadworthy :)

Edited by Bandit

The thought has very closely crossed my mind lol originally I was going to source a transfer box and front diff but that would be a bit extreme for my pockets cash wise as almost certainly they would have to come from the states.

I have a few idea's how it will eventually look, much the same structurally but it is quite heavy without loading jeeps on and hitching up a caravan, all that will take me over 8.25 tons so I have two choices either the ole girl needs to lose some weight or I go for a C1, whatever happens I want to retain the looks and functionality but get it back to the original colour and smarten up the deck and ramps, think it will be just the ticket all polished up.

First job is getting the bonnet sorted out, its badly rusted due to being coated inside and out with the horrendous black stuff which trapped moisture, will probably get one sent over from the states if I can find one, be a whole lot easier then fixing this one.

What colour is it underneath the black? Keep an eye out for cracking around the hinge points on the bonnet, door hinges and door locks as was common on the f series trucks because big bits of metal are getting slammed shut. Really annoying when you close the door and the lock falls in to the bottom of the door.

You may want to be careful sanding the doors and side of wings as may have been marked with a serial number or "official use only". When i seen this the vehicle was white and numbering blue from memory and if green the lettering is black

The bonnet is bad, with the amount of wastage of metal its not heavy enough to crack around the hinge mounts lol, the drivers door is heading that way but salvageable moreso than the bonnet, the passenger door isnt too bad, the cab itself isnt in the best condition and if its got at now then easily put right, if left much longer then its going to be a big problem, its base colour is usaaf green, that is what was ordered and it sprayed in, what the colour is known as I dont know, as for mpg's Im not too sure, the engine is known as a "fuel pincher" as its a 4 stroke unlike most of the Detroit offerings which were awesome 2 stroke engines, I have done some research but there isnt much info out there so I gotta get my thinking head on to try and get hold of some proper manual servicing/maintenance info etc but from what I have read so far im looking at around 13/14mpg unladen.

Got out quite early today, before 9am indeed and took a visit to my local truck factors and purchased these

IMAG0568_zpscd767221.jpg

Truck rear end fettling

IMAG0569_zps2c089e85.jpg

Introduce some air tools

IMAG0570_zpse0e7fd29.jpg

I can get to work drilling, grinding and fast nut n bolt removaling and descaling the bed with a nailer, the bonnet is in my shed soon to be joined by various other cab bits for refurbishment. Dont have much access to electricity but with the onboard air I can get quite alot done.

Edited by Bandit

Rain stopped play for today doh, however I managed to notice that the pto will work again eventually, unfortunately the air engage and hydraulic system has been removed in its entirety, would have been nice to have that all original but Ill have to make do with putting a system together, the loading ramps are seriously heavy and even with spring assist I cant raise them so Im going to fab up some bracketry to fit a couple rams to do the work, which means moving the rear lights but the clusters can be mounted to the ramps.

Bonnet

IMAG0561_zps12cee53c.jpg

IMAG0562_zpsd1e38b24.jpg

IMAG0563_zpsc9ee68e4.jpg

pto and shaft

IMAG0528_zpsb66a0312.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good day on sunday, weather held up fo a few hrs, managed to get the inner wheel arch (ns) off plus the two section wing which means I can get to the rot in the floor easier now

IMAG0583_zps51e30cbd.jpg

IMAG0585_zpsd8da0ee1.jpg

IMAG0587_zps615ff67c.jpg

the lower wing section coming off

IMAG0586_zpsce0493f6.jpg

the front ns exposed

9e371131-54e0-4813-9d0e-aba59597792d_zps8608a861.jpg

parts in the shed, you may notice a smooth area on the large arch in the middle nr the floor, this will be a previous duck tape repair hidden with copious amounts of the evil underseal, what an absolute bodge, why oh why dont people just fix it right first time ?? instead of doing a total hash repair, its beyond me.

IMAG0592_zps4771ae8a.jpg

Edited by Bandit

• 4 weeks later...

On a massive downer now, its all turning into a huge mess and I dont understand how its ended up this way.

I have been told by DVSA that my truck basically cant/wont be tested, its revenue weight is 7020kg's, there is no type approval or plate certificate on record, type approval wont be given as its an American truck, to be legal it needs a valid test certificate, and because of its weight it has to go to an approved HGV testing station, so how would the vehicle have a registration number if it hasnt been approved ??

There are alot of picture references to american vehicles of all types on British roads and yet to be told that mine isnt, cant or wont be compliant seems quite baffling.

Im beginning to wish I hadnt bothered with it, talk about being disheartened, anyone have any comments or advice on this ??

Ah, yes, the gap between the floorboards...

When I was a mechanic all our breakdowns ran around on trade plates, which made things easier while we used them. However, since your vehicle has a registration, do you not have the registration document? If not then have you done a search fro your vehicle on the DVLC website?

trevor

Its never been taxed or tested ... I found out that as its over 25 years old its exempt from approval but Ive just had another conversation with DVSA and have been told the reason is although the vehicle is over 25 years old so is exempt from approval the braking system doesnt conform to european standards so cant be tested and obviously without a test it cant be driven legally.

There are at least two other GMC's like mine with registrations on the road and quite a few American built hgv's (macks etc) on our roads as well so how they are tested I have no idea.

Possibilities I guess is to make the braking system conform to euro standards, then seek voluntary approval, or change the vehicle use or construction so it falls into an exemption category.

Gutted :cry:

Edited by Bandit

Hi,

About 10 years ago a friend of ours with a newly-imported 1980s Peterbilt tractor unit had to modify the braking system to make it conform before it could be tested.

While other vehicles may have got on the road in the past by a little stretching of the truth and massaging of details on paperwork these things have been clamped down on recently and you will have to do it the right way. There should be no reason why it can't be done, but agreed it is gutting when you think you've bought something that is already road-ready.

All the best - MG

Dyu know, last night I was so kind of down, talk about being a Victor Meldrew, drove the mrs up the wall, mumbling about here n there, everything was rubbish, didnt sleep much last night at all thinking about the darn truck and thats all ive done for weeks, probably because its all moving at a very slow rate, Bought it before october and only yesterday did the v5c arrive and thats wrong so they have to send another one any how I did actually think to myself that maybe it has been done, there are indeed numurous replaced brake lines and they work brilliantly except the rear rears but that needs investigating, all the lighting has been corrected (turn signals, dipped left etc)

I dont know what would be different between the uk and american specs, I do have an idea but really I need to find out exactly what I need to do from someone who knows, now that is the hard part, searched the web for hrs and hrs but cant find any difinative information.

The telephone conversation yesterday has made me even more determined :-)

Hi,

There are numerous companies out there who will carry out a pre-MoT inspection for you. You'll be able to explain the potential issues discretely without prejudicing any ministry inspection. Any large local haulier will be able to advise who they use.

Alternatively print off a load of photos and take them down to the local test station with a big bag of doughnuts around tea break time and see if the guys there will give you their thoughts. You'll probably get more help if you can find a private place that hosts ministry tests rather than an actual ministry station - nothing against the ministry guys but they are less able to give opinions.

Otherwise you could book the truck in for a test and see what happens, but that's a big gamble because if it fails they can put a PG9 on it which means you can't drive it away.

- MG

ps. that's a fantastic looking truck!