Latest acquisition

Ron

Not much happening on the motorcycles page. I have just acquired this rare bike. Royal Enfield Model G WD. Genuine ex Royal Navy and supplied to Chatham Docks in Fed 1941. Some of these early RE's had an anti clock speedo fitted and for that reason, a previous owner has put the wheel in the wrong way round to be able to drive a standard speedo. I will be correcting it and have just bought a correct speedo in readiness.

Message to JENKOFF.....Are you opening your PM's?

Ron

WDL-G 001.jpg

SS852804.jpg

SS852805.jpg

Strange thing is, the previous owner said it pulls better than his WD/CO. So I took it for a fifty mile run last Sunday, and I have to agree, it does go better than my own CO. Yet when I checked the specifications and parts lists......The engines are about identical??

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian, I mostly have the bike stripped ready for some remedial work and a re-spray in Khaki Green. As far as I'm aware, RN and RAF vehicles were supplied from the manufacturers in the same colours as the Army. It's quite possible though that vehicles could have been re-painted at their bases with dockside blue or battleship grey, but I have no real evidence of that......So far.

I had an enjoyable 50 mile ride when I first got the bike, but there was a terrible judder now and then from the back brake. On strip down, I've found that the brake shoe rivets are lose and that the shoe expanding cam bush is also lose on the brake plate.......An easy fix! Ron

• 1 month later...

The front wheel is now in the correct way round and I have repaired the original front mudguard that came with the bike. I wasn't happy with the repro, it didn't look quite right! The mag has been rebuilt and the engine is going back together with a rebore and new dome top piston which takes the compression from 6.1 to 7.1.

New brake linings, tyre and cush rubbers at the rear wheel and an adapted WD/CO field stand, as I want to keep the panniers.

A correct NOS Clearhooters horn, supplied by a Belgium friend an air filter box and some new cables fitted.

I'll probably have the whole day off tomorrow....BAH HUMBUG! Ron

WDL-G 030.jpg

WDL-G 063.jpg

WDL-G 067.jpg

WDL-G 069.jpg

Thanks for the comments chaps!

The engine in now fully put back together and carb overhauled. The exhaust is prepared and ready to fit. I've repaired a small crack in the otherwise very sound original type silencer, and put the tank markings and transfers on. Like the RAF there are Unfortunately no remaining records for RN census numbers. So some artistic license again by picking a number and style close to original war time images. Ron

WDL-G 070.jpg

WDL-G 072.jpg

WDL-G 073.jpg

Hi Graham I have replied to your PM. The engine cases are bare aluminium. I have simply cleaned them with white spirit. Ordinarily if the engine is totally stripped I would bead blast the cases myself of get them vapour blasted.

To the most part, painted engine/gearbox cases was a post war REME workshop idea. However WW2 matchless engine/gearboxes were somewhat painted from the factory. Also some pre war BSA cases were painted with a silver lacquer which I have replicated here on my 39 C10.

Ron

C10 finnished. 001.jpg

Hi Graham I have replied to your PM. The engine cases are bare aluminium. I have simply cleaned them with white spirit. Ordinarily if the engine is totally stripped I would bead blast the cases myself of get them vapour blasted.

To the most part, painted engine/gearbox cases was a post war REME workshop idea. However WW2 matchless engine/gearboxes were somewhat painted from the factory. Also some pre war BSA cases were painted with a silver lacquer which I have replicated here on my 39 C10.

Ron

Where's the like button :D , that's seriously nice machine