How wide is wide???

Hair Bear

A scenario and a couple of questions...

A particular road has a 7' compulsory width restriction (7' in a red circle). The width of my van is 6'6" at the kerb and body, 7'2 at the mirrors when folded, and 8' with the mirrors out.

Which width is the official measurement? Can I go down the road?

Thoughts anybody?

Well this was my query.

With the body at 6'6 it's not a problem but if its measured as the absolute minimum gap you could fit through, then the folded mirrors and mounts mean it's 7'1.

Quite simply, I've been using a long detour around a road with a width limit and I've been told that I have to use the quickest route along this road. Who's right? Me, or my manager?

Just had a look at the relevant C&U regs

The width of a vehicle is calculated including any receptacle which is strong enough for repeated use.....

Exemptions include Driving Mirrors

It then goes on to say Driving mirrors and direction indicators are not included for C&U regs, however some traffic regulations do not use the same definition so mirrors may have to be included!!!

Confusing or what!!!:nut:

As already mentioned (and assuming you're in the UK) the width of a vehicle is defined in Construction and Use as:

the distance between longitudinal planes passing through the extreme lateral projecting points of the vehicle inclusive of all parts of the vehicle, of any receptacle which is of permanent character and accordingly strong enough for repeated use, and any fitting on, or attached to, the vehicle except—

(a) any driving mirror;

... (plus other exceptions)

That appears to mean that your van is narrow enough at 6' 6" to comply with the exemption. If you want to be certain, ask the highways authority or traffic police for your area.

There's also the practicality of it. It sounds as though the road's fairly local to your operating base so presumably you and others know what the restriction is, i.e. narrow bridge, gap between buildings, artificial restriction etc., but if you don't it might be worth driving it in a car to find out.