level crossings

BRDM Driver

Anyone know if it's possible to get a schedule for level crossing operation at a particular crossing?

I'd prefer to avoid traffic queues at our local crossing when moving the Abbot and Scorpion.

I would assume that somewhere there is a phone number for the signalman???

Anyone know if it's possible to get a schedule for level crossing operation at a particular crossing?

I'd prefer to avoid traffic queues at our local crossing when moving the Abbot and Scorpion.

I would assume that somewhere there is a phone number for the signalman???

There is a phone by the side of unmanned crossings for animals and abnormal loads.

There is a phone by the side of unmanned crossings for animals and abnormal loads.

All crossings I believe

HWC Rule 294

If you are driving a large or slow moving vehilce................You MUST obtain permission to cross............you must also after crossing use the phone again to confirm you have crossed

(Have parphrased the rule!)

I don't think that an Abbot or Scorpion would count as an unusual vehicle as far as level crossings are concerned.

If you have a driving licence then you should already know enough about the rules for level crossing use.

On your H.G.V. test you have to look both ways ( up the railway. ) whilst crossing; I don't know why I just did it. Common sense would tell you that if a train is that close then you're in trouble and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

I am not sure exactly how the network railway arrange their "working timetable" but there is one; which covers all predictable movements like empty trains, positioning movements and freight trains which will be arranged weekly and updated real time probably. The spotters I know seem to get hold of it without too much trouble so it must be public domain.

It might be worth looking around a few railway spotter web sites to find out where it is. Problem is you might need a train spotter geek to decipher it for you.

A free service that can be used is Realtime trains.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced

If you can work out the advanced search facility then it does give an indication of what might be running.

I say Might be running because especially with freight services although the paths are booked the train may only run as and when required.

Hi, use real time trains, I'll drop you a pm if you need to but I'm train crew and usually that's the best way to figure it out, signalman won't usually give you information about passage of trains off the level crossing phone and I feel if you emailed network rail the reply you wait for could a long time... What level crossing is it your on about? Anyway if you need to know more drop me a pm.

Seb

Edited by SebBrady

Working Timetables are on the Network Rail site, but Real Time Trains is probably easier to use and also includes freight, specials etc. The Working Timetables don't always seem to include specials which I guess are too short notice and notified in bulletins?

Network Rail site is here: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?dir=\Timetables\Working%20Timetable%20(WTT)&root=\Timetables\Working%20Timetable%20(WTT)

Opening a folder will give you lots of other folders: the section for Dorset is WG and for the Waterloo - Weymouth line WG01.

Are you talking about Wool or Moreton, or one of the smaller crossings along that stretch?

Edited by Sean N

Working Timetables are on the Network Rail site, but Real Time Trains is probably easier to use and also includes freight, specials etc. The Working Timetables don't always seem to include specials which I guess are too short notice and notified in bulletins?

Network Rail site is here: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?dir=\Timetables\Working%20Timetable%20(WTT)&root=\Timetables\Working%20Timetable%20(WTT)

Opening a folder will give you lots of other folders: the section for Dorset is WG and for the Waterloo - Weymouth line WG01.

Are you talking about Wool or Moreton, or one of the smaller crossings along that stretch?

Wool is where I'm crossing.

Real time trains looks pretty good.