Armed Forces Day.Event Vehicle Risk Assesment Requirement ?

bedford

Thanks Andy,

will download the form,think the main thing will be to place.

Warning for Your own Safety Do Not Climb on this Vehicle..

Cant think of much else apart from not going,as e

:undecided:Council just trying to cover their backs on this one.

I don't know about over there, but here, the main thing that councils want with a risk assessment for vehicle events is to do with movement of the vehicles around the public.

For some shows, we've had to have a policy of you must arrive before and you cannot leave before times, during which the vehicles must not be moved, but more often we can get away with something similar with an exception being that vehicles can be moved, at walking pace, as long as an official walks in front of it while wearing a high-visibility vest.

Some may also want your club/organisation to have public liability insurance, which is usually provided on a blanket basis through memberships of the larger club organisations.

It may seem a little unreasonable somtimes, but at the end of the day, if you are running an event on council property, they have ultimate liability for that event.

Cheers,

Terry

Indeed

As it is the councils event it is for them to produce any risk assessment and inform participants of restrictions and control measures.

There may be a valid "does your vehicle have any specific things we need to know about?" but that is a different question to the one you have been asked.

I would be making a phone call along the lines of the above to someone with a brain on the event organising team.

Indeed

As it is the councils event it is for them to produce any risk assessment and inform participants of restrictions and control measures.

There may be a valid "does your vehicle have any specific things we need to know about?" but that is a different question to the one you have been asked.

I would be making a phone call along the lines of the above to someone with a brain on the event organising team.

It's actually a bit of both - you mutually need to understand the risks involved. What risks does your vehicle present to the event, and what risks does the event present to you and your vehicle?

Andy

It's actually a bit of both - you mutually need to understand the risks involved. What risks does your vehicle present to the event, and what risks does the event present to you and your vehicle?

Andy

Yep, and if you try and throw it all back at the council, they'll just deny your application, as it's all just work to them. Play the game, it's not all that hard and once you've done it right the first time, you can just resubmit the same paperwork over and over for future events.

Cheers,

Terry

I, and lots of others, have attended countless events over the last 40 years. As yet I have not been required to complete any sort of risk assessment. I have signed documentation undertaking to abide by the rules of the game and the direction of the organisers and I have had to produce documentation for insurance, boiler inspections and so on.

If I were to be asked for a risk assessment I would be happy to stay away and take my exhibit elsewhere. At best this is someone on the council being idle, at worst it is a roundabout way of passing any event risk to individual owners.

When was the last time anyone did a risk assessment to park their cars at Tesco?

Just my opinion!!

Everybody jumps up and down when the words Risk Assesment are used

Risk Assessments are there to

a. Identify Hazards (Hazards have the potential to cause harm Risks are is the likelihood of that hazard causing harm and its severity)

b. Think about the risk associated with those hazards

c. Put some control measures in place

The Law states that a risk assessment should be suitable and sufficient (Health and Safety at Work act 1974 Section 3) and be documented. There is though no standard form!

Suitable and sufficient means identify significant risk(ignore trivial ones) identify and prioritize measures to control the risk and the risk assessment should be carried out by a competant person. Which is maybe why the council have passed it to you

These may be for the display you are having

Hazard:- Moving Vehicles and Pedestrians

Risk:- High potential for Injury/Death

Control: All drivers briefed, No vehicle movement without marshall supervision, marshalls briefed and to wear Hi-Viz

And so on!

A risk assessment is a means to allow you to do something rather than say you cant do it

My two pennorth

All true

But the responsibility for producing it sits in this case with the council - although they will of course need answers to the question "is there anything odd about your vehicle that we need to be aware of....?"

That is quite different to asking owners to complete there own risk assessment, because that would mean owners imposing control measures on the organisers - patently bonkers ("The organisers are to provide adequate barriers, signage and in peak times 3 marshals wearing appropriately marked high visibility clothing to stop nasty children climbing onto my WW2 Paratrooper Bike")

So responsibility for the dialogue, production and dissemination of the assessment sits fairly and squarely with the organisers. Thereafter it will be for owners to comply with any control measures/indemnities required. Just like every other special event held throughout the land.........

When was the last time anyone did a risk assessment to park their cars at Tesco?

Just my opinion!!

Okay, not a written assessment, but I bet you visually check the area when you park? Not the quiet corner, always under a street lamp after dark, etc. I work in H&S, we all do risk assessments without thinking about it. People don't withdraw cash from an ATM and wave the cash about, exactly the same thing.

Okay, not a written assessment, but I bet you visually check the area when you park? Not the quiet corner, always under a street lamp after dark, etc. I work in H&S, we all do risk assessments without thinking about it. People don't withdraw cash from an ATM and wave the cash about, exactly the same thing.

100% agree - although it used to be called common sense. But that isn't what's being asked for here is it?

100% agree - although it used to be called common sense. But that isn't what's being asked for here is it?

What's wrong with writing down common sense?

It's easy to lampoon councils and yes, they probably do have a number of jobsworths working for them. But in the world where people will sue for a broken fingernail, councils have to abide by the conditions of their insurance policy and I suspect that's what is driving this.

Andy

Oh, I thought you were the event organizer. Usually it's their responsibility to provide one to the owner of the venue, usually a council. I've never seen a case of individual entrants having to do one.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks to you all for your advice on this,I have had to submit to the council a short letter stating that I will arrive and depart the venue before and after opening hours,with Hazards on etc,will put signs on vehicle Do not climb etc.

cant really do much more than that.

Shame the local council just want to cover their backs and pass on any problems.:-(