Another new boy

Hi everyone, my name is George and I own a Hotchkiss jeep. Just like some of you's, I always wanted one and finally, in my 50's I got one!

Mind you, I nearly wavered while waiting for the right one but Steve Carr (aka Stalin) was there putting the pressure on with the assistance of Tim (Whistling wolf). My jeep is a 1963 model, MALT rebuild in May 1972. It has been British airbourned and then Americanised but now I am turning it back to French. I've had some great help by others MV owners like Steve, Tim, Andy Bloxham, Adam Anderson, another Tim and Brian Fox (sounds like an Oscar speech).

Apart from a wiper motor set, does anyone know where I can get a coloured dye/waterproofer for my faded canvas?

George is a very trusting soul ( some might say naive!! ). I've only known him a few months, and yet he gave me several thousand pounds in notes to go and collect the jeep from Tim!!! ( Tim, don't let George know you sold it for £2000 and I kept the rest!!! :-D )

I didn't put much pressure on George, but if I hadn't 'leaned' on him, he would have only wasted the money on bills or decorating etc!

Here's a picture of George just after getting the jeep, on its first run out. It is currently somewhat mottled after having several layers of paint rubbed down.

width=640 height=480http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mvtne/members/jeep_george/jeep_george1.jpg[/img]

width=260 height=200http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mvtne/members/jeep_george/george_jeepb.jpg[/img]

Steve

welcome George and great introduction!

So Steve and Tim have been up to their old tricks again :whistle: sure someone mentioned something about an ASBO when it comes to those two!

Good to have you here.

Jack.

Hi George;

now that is different,.............changing a hotchkiss back to french spec. ;-)

Nice One...........

I THINK I saw wiper motor/bits on ebey recently,...mil veh bits,......I THINK.

Welcome to the great world of 'but I can't do the lawn/shopping/cleaning out the goldfish/ excercising the children or combinations of all, type explanations,..........this weekend,........so and so show is on'........living. :whistle:

All the best,

Andy

Welcome George. The PW branch will gladly welcome a French Hotchkiss in the ranks. What a chap does with his MV is his own beeswax, but it is nice to see the odd one being kept in original guise. The dancing girls always do an extra turn for the PW wing. Good move.

Thanks for the welcome lads ! I contacted RR Services and the waterproofer is £18 for 2.5 Ltrs. That's a smart lookin' RLW Ian2b. I drove those beauts with the T.A. and they were a pleasure to drive, except I always banged my "funny bone " when changing into second. As a boy soldier in the 70's with the R.A. we had a type that had a door fitted on the side of the rear body, what was that for? Anyone any idea?

We spent the afternoon welding up holes in Georges Jeep! There were 20+ holes for accessories, hood blocks, additional lights etc, that George really didn't want. Fortunately the slight sign of rain passed, and we got it all done in 3 hours.

It needs a little more rubbing down and some rust treating, then the paint can come out!

Steve

That's a smart lookin' RLW Ian2b. I drove those beauts with the T.A. and they were a pleasure to drive, except I always banged my "funny bone " when changing into second. As a boy soldier in the 70's with the R.A. we had a type that had a door fitted on the side of the rear body, what was that for? Anyone any idea?

Cheers George, I do like my RLW and it was my first military vehicle. As for banging my arm when changing gear I dont have that problem but my arms are not to long so that could be why.

Nice to see you and the others are getting stuck into the jeep restoration and do keep the pics coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this as part of an email from George the other day. Makes you wonder what could be lurking in and around your vehicle..........

"While looking at the back end, I looked underneath and spotted something I didn't expect to see. Sticking out the hole behind the fuel tank was..................... a blank round!!

The percussion cap has been hit but the other end looks like it has never fired."

Steve

Rounds do seem to pop up in nooks & crannies

I found about a dozen fired .38 brass pistol shells wedged in a gap in the floor in the back of the truck when cleaning it out for painting

all 1980's dated no live ones thankfully

:shake: