Normandy 2014

Desert Rat

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer as to what documents/passes etc are needed for this years Normandy anniversary.

Ferries are booked and we hope to take at least one MV over.

I keep hearing about special passes or government documentation etc.

What is needed to spend a week in Normandy this June with an MV ?

Thanks.

There is a form online discussed on here recently that all visitors to this years 70th anniversary have to fill in, I believe it's called an accreditation form (see MVT website). You will need to complete this and forward to the French authorities asap or you will not be allowed to travel to certain events and on certain roads especially on the 6th June. Veterans rightly have priority but if you apply promptly you will hopefully get a pass to attend. Once again have a look on the MVT website there should be more info there. :-)

There is a form online discussed on here recently that all visitors to this years 70th anniversary have to fill in, I believe it's called an accreditation form (see MVT website). You will need to complete this and forward to the French authorities asap or you will not be allowed to travel to certain events and on certain roads especially on the 6th June. Veterans rightly have priority but if you apply promptly you will hopefully get a pass to attend. Once again have a look on the MVT website there should be more info there. :-)

Thank you for that.

I haven't been on here in recent weeks to read many threads due to work and trying to get the bloody vehicle finished... :nut:

Just read through the thread which speaks about the authorization passes etc.

My plan is to travel across on the 2nd/arrive on the 3rd and then drive to our camp site. We will go where we can and when the movement restrictions allow up until the lock-down on the 6th and then will travel back to Ouistreham on the afternoon of the 8th to catch the ferry.

As I read it, the area will be locked down on the 6th except to those attending the official ceremonies.

I like many others will pay my respects earlier in the week.

All these application forms seem to be to attend the ceremonies on the 6th so is it correct that you won't need these passes if you don't want to drive around/attend the ceremonies on the 6th ?

I have heard that there are likely to be restrictions to both foot traffic and vehicles to the main events and passes are required. Our group have submitted applications to Mod GB for tickets but we are going anyway. In previous years there was no problem at all and we had free access to beaches and all.

Only in French as far as I can see.

Today's press release from the Préfet de Calvados :-

http://www.calvados.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/DP_final_30avril.pdf

There are no traffic restrictions outside of 6th June. Quite a large zone on the morning of the sixth with a smaller area after 14.30 hours.

Vehicle passes will be available to (temporary) residents at the town hall on presentation of registration documents and proof of hotel / campsite residence.

There is now a website link in English

http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/dedicated-areas/traffic/?lang=en

Those staying outside of the zone will have to show a reason for being there which might be more difficult.

'Accreditation' for specific events is a separate matter of course.

Edited by 79x100
Additional Link

From the Mod - The application on my post above is not needed

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Defence (MoD) regarding accreditation to be in Normandy and/ or attend DDay 70 commemorations and events on 6 June.

The MoD is currently only assisting British Normandy Veterans (+ their families and travel companions) to obtain accreditation from the French authorities.

All other persons wishing to travel around Normandy on 6 June should obtain accreditation directly from the French Authorities either:

by email (pref-70-sticker@calvados.gouv.fr)

or by post, using a stamped-addressed envelope (Prefecture-Cellule badgeage, rue Daniel Huet, Caen)

Information regarding the process can be found at http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/practical-information/f-a-q/?lang=en with further information concerning the ‘Regulated Traffic Zone’ available at http://www.the70th-normandy.com/dedicated-areas/traffic/?lang=en.

If you submitted an accreditation form to us prior to 10 April we will pass your application to the French Authorities on your behalf.

However, if you are receiving this email and did not apply before 10 April then your details are not being transferred. Therefore you will need to resubmit your application (the details are likely to be the same as on our accreditation form) via their online channel on the website above. I apologise for the inconvenience this may cause you.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued travel advice for British Citizens wishing to make the journey to Normandy here.

Also, do keep up to date by checking for latest news on http://www.gov.uk/mod/dday70 or http://www.the70th-normandy.com.

Yours aye,

Stuart Lowe

Stuart Lowe | Lieutenant Royal Navy | MOD Ceremonial Events & Commemorations Team | MOD Main Building, London, SW1A 2HB | Civ: 0207 218 7917 | Mil: 9621 87917 | Email: PersTrg-DSSec-CECTMailbox@mod.uk |