New driver and trailers

Hi, My daughter has just passed her car test (2/4/2014 for clarity!) and tells me that she isn't allowed to tow any type of trailer until she passes a trailer test.

I hadn't heard of the 750kg rule being changed, so what is the current state of affairs?

Any input appreciated.

Now I'm totally baffled!

I worked on the understanding that after 1/1/97 a new driver could tow up to 750kg, and had to pass a trailer test for anything larger.

I just went to the DVLA website and it appears (unless I'm reading it wrong!) quote from the website...

'You can already tow trailers up to 750kg.

You can also tow heavier trailers if combined weight of trailer and vehicle isn’t more than 3,500kg.'

If that's the case, why are so many people taking a trailer test just to tow a braked trailer or caravan? I don't get it at all.

Maybe you could talk to the local police although in my experience they often find the DVLA's rules just as confusing as the rest of us. You could print off what you have found and ask them for clarification but if in doubt get anything they say in writing :-D I was led to believe new drivers could not tow any trailer without another test obviously this now appears not to be the case. Good Luck :-)

The rules are so confusing that the easy answer has been to tell people that they can't tow trailers but you have always been able to tow a trailer - just with limits.

My other half passed her test a few years ago and we looked into what she could and couldn't do. The rules stated that you could tow a trailer up to 750kg. And that you could tow a combination up to 3500kg but at that time there were limits on how heavy the trailer could be compared to the tow vehicle and I think it went on maximum laden weight rather than what it was actually loaded to.

It sounds like the rules have now been simplified.

Ed

please dont be baffled by anything about driving ive drove HGV class 1 now for 24 years its now LGV class 1 and if i dont sit in a classroom for 35 hours driver cpc. for lorry and bus drivers i cant drive a lorry anymore if i dont do it ! there are 5 courses making up the 35 hrs but i could sit the same course 5 times and still get my cpc as long as ive spent 35 hrs sat in a classroom :argh:

please dont be baffled by anything about driving ive drove HGV class 1 now for 24 years its now LGV class 1 and if i dont sit in a classroom for 35 hours driver cpc. for lorry and bus drivers i cant drive a lorry anymore if i dont do it ! there are 5 courses making up the 35 hrs but i could sit the same course 5 times and still get my cpc as long as ive spent 35 hrs sat in a classroom :argh:

CPC is a joke money making exercise brought about by the EEU but only enforced by Uk ps you dont even have to do the courses some companies will do the deed on recipt of driving licence £350 and six weeks wait

CPC is a joke money making exercise brought about by the EEU but only enforced by Uk ps you dont even have to do the courses some companies will do the deed on recipt of driving licence £350 and six weeks wait

Especially as the content of the course has really nothing to do with actual driving. I had to sit through a day to be told I couldn't use the term 'Able Bodied ' as it might upset those who are not! The tutor was not pleased when I pointed out that the etymological root of Able means 'Skilled'. The mutter Bl**ding smart A** could be heard. :-D

been told on my last cpc course that some hire firms driving a transit tipper with trailer and mini digger don,t realise they should also be doing a cpc course ! its got to be retaken every 5 yrs i think they will soon be a shortage of lorry and bus drivers soon because its to expensive to get your license and then the monies involved in keeping it ! you have to pay to go out to work ,,,,,,, rant over ! :computerrage:

There is already a shortage of drivers and this will get worse in September when all drivers must have completed the periodic training

Whilst it is the responsibility of the driver to maintain his CPC the traffic comminsioners have made it very clear to operators that they must assist in every way they can and they will take a very dim view of operators who do not support the drivers

The firm I work for (big yellow lorries with a three letter name) have put all of its drivers through CPC at no cost to the driver (in fact the days when the driver is attending his periodic training he is getting paid as well)

I think that any driver who has his dcpc card will become an asset to any any company post 14th September this year