Watercart here - pleased to meet you all.

watercart

Hello, pleased to meet you all. I am a collector in the Antipodes mainly interested in WW1 and WW2 artillery. What has caught my attention in the HMVF forum is a search for info in WW1 watercarts, hence the name. Maybe I should have picked something 18 pounder related? An 18 pounder restoration is my main project underway at the moment, but I have all of the main bits of a WW1 British army watercart needing to go back together (tank, pump, tank cradle, securing bands, wheels and axle - only the wood bits needed). The drawings and photos included in the posts look like they are just what I need to get this project underway. Although the Furphy watercart is an Australian icon from earlier in WW1, the standard military pattern deserves a little more attention down here. As for 18 pounder, I am most of the way through a restoration of an early production gun. I am aiming to get this gun with gun limber and limbered ammo wagon displayable before the most solemn anniversary in August 2014 is upon us. As with many of you, I have many other projects in various stages of completion, and many spares bits left over that may be of interest to you in completing your projects too. After may years in acquisition mode, I have lots of shed space occupied by bits and pieces that will never be completed, so trading them on to where they are needed, and freeing up shed space for work and display will be a win-win. I wish I had known about HMVF earlier! all the best, Nick

Hi Nick,

As I assume you are in Australia, and not NZ, you might be interested in a military vehicle event next March on the border of NSW and Victoria, at Corowa. One of the themes is going to be World War One and it is hoped there will be some WW1 vehicles there. The other theme is Year of the Ford. If you are unaware of the event or would like to know more, here is a link to the latest newsletter from the organisers ( of which I am on the committee and editor of the newsletter ). It would be great if you could get your equipment ready and be able to attend.

http://corowaswim-in.org/docs/Corowa%20Newsletter%20October%202013.pdf

regards, Richard

Hi Nick,

As I assume you are in Australia, and not NZ, you might be interested in a military vehicle event next March on the border of NSW and Victoria, at Corowa. One of the themes is going to be World War One and it is hoped there will be some WW1 vehicles there. The other theme is Year of the Ford. If you are unaware of the event or would like to know more, here is a link to the latest newsletter from the organisers ( of which I am on the committee and editor of the newsletter ). It would be great if you could get your equipment ready and be able to attend.

http://corowaswim-in.org/docs/Corowa%20Newsletter%20October%202013.pdf

regards, Richard

Yes Richard, I'm in Australia, but have not attended the Corowa meet due to work commitments. I am looking forward to displaying some of the artillery there during the Centenary years. Most of my stuff tends to be horse drawn, and I and not have the room for either horses or towing vehicles other than limbers. Nevertheless, I am always interested in having a look at the engineering of other people's trucks and tanks. Regret nothing in the Ford line other than brake assemblies on the short 25Pdrs. Thanks for the link, cheers, Nick

Thanks Rick, yes there is pain when bits are missing. Usually the only thing to do is remanufacture. Just as well we are in it for the love not money, cheers,Nick

welcome to the forum. I struggle to restore ww2 vehicles so can imagine how difficult it is to work on ww1 kit. good luck with the resto's. rick