Troublesome trucks (with apologies to the Rev Awdry)

Great War truck

J Mobile Tyre Press was attached to 358 Coy ASC (3 Heavy Repair Shop) at St Omer. The term 'Mobile' needs taking in context of WW1 in that it was a permanent fixture and although it could technically be moved from place to place it didn't. A similar situation as the mobile or travelling workshops - they were static when in operation but could be moved if and when the company they were attached to moved.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These photos are copyright K B collection. Hope you dont mind me adding some of my original photos taken from my glass negs that i have just bought, they are not as good as the IWM ones but give some good info. photos taken in France of ASC Depot. Any one ID the Depot. Lots of spare parts in the stores.

Keith

ASC ww1.trucks at workshop .jpg

ASC ww1.trucks jpg.JPG

ASC ww1 stores box.jpg

ASC ww1 workshop.jpg

ASC ww1 stores tyres and  rims.jpg

ASC ww1 stores cranks Dennis.jpg

ASC ww1 stores cranks Karrier.jpg

ASC ww1 stores.jpg

ASC ww1 stores rads and bits.jpg

ASC ww1 amb.jpg

RASC ww1.jpg

Amb unit ww1 france standby.jpg

Photos are copyright to K B Collection. A few more, Rouen is the Depot, there are two negs on each glass so it was taken by a stereo camera, so if i show it on a wall i could go into the stores and get you some spares [ NOS ], just need your wants. He He. I must get a light box to get even better images.

Keith

ASC Rouen stores ww1r.jpg

ASC Rouen stores ww1army rr.jpg

ASC Rouen store room  ww1.jpg

ASC Rouen stores ww1army r.jpg

ASC ship docks ww1 r.jpg

I think that the front axles are in their crates which have been opened and then stacked on their sides. If they had invented fork lifts it would have been easier but given the choices of duty in France at that time a sore back probably didn't seem so bad.

David

These photographs are copyright of the Imperial War Museum and are published here with their permission under their non-commercial licence.

This is one of the unarmoured Canadian Autocars which had the “command car” type body removed and replaced with a GS body.

CO829_zpsb7a3b697.jpg

© IWM (CO829)

A well loaded Autocar. The tool box has been used as a footstep it seems

Q15638_zpsd009f9f9.jpg

© IWM (Q15638)

A convoy of Autocars heading off into the bush

Q15632_zpsafa1470f.jpg

© IWM (Q15632)

Behind the Model T’s is a line up of more GS Autocars

Q15653_zpsc71d41d7.jpg

© IWM (CO829)

Yes, that point of lifting heavy items about leads to whole differing factor of injuries in handling supplies. Crushed fingers, pulled muscles, and the like must have been common. As for using mechanical aids could there have been a portable crane using a hand winch or block and tackle. Considering this same form of unit would have been used in the branches of industry previously. Photos of such items in wartime do not seem to be about. Hand carts and barrows seem to be those only appearing in photographs.

Doug

"Behind the Model T’s is a line up of more GS Autocars

Q15653_zpsc71d41d7.jpg

These are not Model 'T's The two closest may be Dodges and the third who knows. All three have dumb irons out the front with semi-elliptic springing, not transverse like a Model T. There is no elliptic (?) steering box below the steering wheel either.

Great photos though,

Rick.

I just want to say thanks for this thread its one of the best for a long time.I haven't worked on anything pre WW2 (well not yet) and i have never really thought much about WW1 logistics but the thread has captivated me and i really want to know more.

cheers keep up the good work :-D my tin hat is off to you :saluting: