What can I drive up to weight wise?

I thought a car licence is sufficient to drive most wheeled vehicles (not sure about articulated ones) on the road as long as they are not for hire and reward and are not loaded. So in that case you can drive your Leyland Hippo to an MV show but you cannot use it to move home and load it up with furniture etc. Fully tracked vehicles need an H licence but what about a M3 Halftrack; does that need a special licence - I think it won't?

Bill,

You would need to check the small print on the DVLA website, but I am 95% certain that you can drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes, if the date of manufacture is prior to 1960. I looked in to this in some detail when I bought my QL, as I needed my son to be able to drive it, and like yours, his licence only covers him up to 3.5 tonnes. Incidentally, I believe KGM will still cover drivers under 25 on a military/classic vehicle policy.

Mike

Bill,

You would need to check the small print on the DVLA website, but I am 95% certain that you can drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes, if the date of manufacture is prior to 1960. I looked in to this in some detail when I bought my QL, as I needed my son to be able to drive it, and like yours, his licence only covers him up to 3.5 tonnes. Incidentally, I believe KGM will still cover drivers under 25 on a military/classic vehicle policy.

Mike

They wil on an individual case basis, it is expensive, at least by MV quote standards.

If you have the new type car licence (post 95) then you can drive up to 3.5 tons. If you have the older licence you can drive up to 7.5 tons. You can tow a trailer but only certain combinations.

If the vehicle you want to drive was manufactured before 1960 then it is a completely different set of rules. You can drive any wheeled vehicle so long as it is unloaded. You can also tow any trailer so long as it is unloaded.

Example:

My Unipower is 5.4 tons and technically is 1962. My girlfriend who has a post 95 licence can not drive it as it is over 3.5 tons and post 1960.

My Pioneer is 10 tons and is 1938. My girlfriend can drive it as it is pre 1960. She can also tow an unloaded trailer behind it.

If we had an Antar with trailer and it was pre 1960 then she could drive that. If we put a load on it we would then need an HGV licence.

Hopefully that clarifies it.

Cheers

Ed

I thought a car licence is sufficient to drive most wheeled vehicles (not sure about articulated ones) on the road as long as they are not for hire and reward and are not loaded. So in that case you can drive your Leyland Hippo to an MV show but you cannot use it to move home and load it up with furniture etc. Fully tracked vehicles need an H licence but what about a M3 Halftrack; does that need a special licence - I think it won't?

A halftrack does not need an H licence as it isn't a "track-laying vehicle steered by its tracks".

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Thinking about vehicles steered by their tracks, it usually brings to mind a FV432 or Scorpion or other bit of heavy armour for which having an H licence is both a requirement and a sensible precaution - but presumable a car sized Universal Carrier used on the road, also needs the same licence type?

Thanks Andy,

Thinking about vehicles steered by their tracks, it usually brings to mind a FV432 or Scorpion or other bit of heavy armour for which having an H licence is both a requirement and a sensible precaution - but presumable a car sized Universal Carrier used on the road, also needs the same licence type?

To be on the H license it has to be steered by it's tracks (size is irrelevant for the H as far as I'm aware). I think a carrier is steered by it's tracks (albeit by bending the track rather than braking it).

The one I've never understood is the Hagglunds BV. I'd have said that's steered by it's tracks as well, but I've heard several folks say that it's on a C license instead.

To be on the H license it has to be steered by it's tracks (size is irrelevant for the H as far as I'm aware). I think a carrier is steered by it's tracks (albeit by bending the track rather than braking it).

The one I've never understood is the Hagglunds BV. I'd have said that's steered by it's tracks as well, but I've heard several folks say that it's on a C license instead.

Lauren,

To be precise, a Carrier is steered by both warping the tracks and brakes.

As for the Hagglunds and earlier Volvo BV202, they are steered by hydraulic rams between the two cars, hence the anomaly. Tracks bear no part in steering (except when it sheds one!)

The Hagglunds aren't technically steered by their tracks, they're steered by articulating the body, which is apparently different!

Andy