Worth knowing. I always thought the curved boom was later but now I know.

Seems to be the one truck type that didn't get the draughty open cab too. I know with that wrecker setup it wouldn't have lowered the height,but then they went open cab on other trucks with fixed body heights

As Tony says an early Federal type C-2 but being the early model means it is a 605, the C-2 type was also built by Biederman.

That's according to Bart Vanderveen??

But the Jan 1942 PRELIMINARY HANDBOOK OF INSTRUCTIONS (written by the contractors, not Air Corps) for the TYPE C-2 WRECKING TRUCK TRACTOR and (which was later adopted as the USAAF Technical Order for this vehicle) clearly describes and identifies a Federal 606 with the curved boom.

That's not to say Vanderveen is not right - he states there existed a 605 which had the curved boom - but as in this case we run the risk of joining his stated facts up and assuming there is no variant in between (early 606 with curved boom). :cool2:

Does anyone know anything else about the 605? For example Vanderveen describes the 606 as having a 110V generator in the crane tower - as if to suggest the 605 did not have this feature?

I have allways said l do not know much about american trucks but in the TM 9- 2800 DATED 1947 page 346 is a

FEDERAL TYPE C2 like the one in NOS post down to the curved wings it states amongst other things fitted with 110

volt DC electric power plant 3000 watts this might mean nothing may be a differant type but does have the curved boom

and a picture

That's according to Bart Vanderveen??

But the Jan 1942 PRELIMINARY HANDBOOK OF INSTRUCTIONS (written by the contractors, not Air Corps) for the TYPE C-2 WRECKING TRUCK TRACTOR and (which was later adopted as the USAAF Technical Order for this vehicle) clearly describes and identifies a Federal 606 with the curved boom.

That's not to say Vanderveen is not right - he states there existed a 605 which had the curved boom - but as in this case we run the risk of joining his stated facts up and assuming there is no variant in between (early 606 with curved boom). :cool2:

Does anyone know anything else about the 605? For example Vanderveen describes the 606 as having a 110V generator in the crane tower - as if to suggest the 605 did not have this feature?

Hmmm interesting, are the floodlamps fitted on top of the wrecker frame as shown in the pics for all C-2 models or are they a separate item carried in lockers? Bart does say fitted to all models but it isn't clear exactly what he means by this, I must admit I had always assumed he meant all C-2 models. You obviously have more technical info than I do and I bow to your greater knowledge:bow::pfrt:

The Federal 605 was used as the tractor unit for USAAF fuel tankers. I'm guessing the 605 wrecker shown in Bart was maybe a trial vehicle, or one of the first batch? The wheelbase is different to 606.

According to Bart the Biederman and both Federal C-2 models were identical in spec with a wheelbase length of 189.5" but the F1 tanker models appear to have been slightly longer at 196". Does your paperwork confirm or contradict this?