Wiring Bolt heads

woa2

Question

I need some advice from 'Those who Know' to do a job properly.

I have to wire up 6 Bolts Heads around the Torque Tube to Differential on my Ford WOA2. How do I do this, and what wire should I use?

Anybody with any advice, please?

Many thanks.

6 answers to this question

Robert,

You can do it with one length of wire, but I normally do them in pairs, cross the wire over between heads then once the ends are twisted together, I sometimes twist the wires are the crossover. Depends on distance between heads. If you do all 6 bolts with one length of wire, be aware there is a right and wrong way, you need to be wiring through the heads in a pattern so it is holding them in the tightening position. I use aircraft type stainless steel lock wire, only because I bought a bundle years ago. Someone once posted pics of the various methods on here.

First question, Are you intending to lock wire all 6 bolts in one or 3 lots of 2?

Second, by hand or with lock wire pliers?

Third, are the holes in the bolt all the way through the head or just through the corner?

There is plenty to think about but the task is pretty easy. Watch this vid and see what is best for your job. I do it every day on ejection seats so it all seams easy to me but I can appreciate you want to get it right. Just remember not to anti lockwire, its very easy to spoil your job by forgetting to always imagine the wire pulling the bolt tight.

Not knowing how big the bolts are, I don't know what guage of wire you need, but here is a link to that auction site.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=lock+wire&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If you look up lockwire pliers on ebay you normally get the pliers plus the wire

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Safety-Lock-Twist-Wire-Pliers-9-Inch-Complete-With-30m-Lock-Wire/251299078987?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16728%26meid%3D512887384327233096%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D7906%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D310370089525%26

The pliers make life so much easier as they clamp and twist the wire but are extremely useful in their own right as the extra length makes them very useful for yanking split pins out etc. I been looking for another set as mine got borrowed. If you use pliers just don't over twist, from memory you use around 25 per inch.

Another useful tool is this gadget for drilling bolt heads, shanks or nuts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290955930697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661

something I need for some nuts on my truck