Bomber Command Petition.

Guest matt

I've signed - a worthwhile request and long, long overdue.

Still fail to see what all the anti-feeling is toward the crews of bomber command. They were only carrying out their duty - a duty which was formed in no small part by the Luftwafe's action over London, Coventry and other UK cities in the early part of the war.

Yes indeed. During the early stages of WW2 Britain was very much on the back foot. The only method we had of striking back was Bomber Command. They did an amazing job. Their courage and sacrifice is beyond question.

I recommend you all read Mark Connelly's book, "Reaching For The Stars: A New History Of Bomber Command In World War II" ~ ISBN 1-86064-591-7. A well written, thoroughly researched read.

Gareth

I think in the past, I have said how our pc politicians, would like to sweep under the carpet the truth of our history, and enable some members of the so called European union to forget their crimes.

Bomber command took the war back to the agressors, when no other service was able to stirke, and showed the world Great Britain was still fighting back against evil.

A petition for recognition which is 52 years overdue >:(

Hardyferret

I'm a little puzzled. Isn't this what the Air Crew Europe Star was awarded for ?

I'm also a little uneasy that it is also a bit disrespectful to those who have died since, or would it be the case that the Medals office would be burdened by thousands of posthumous requests from the grandchildren of bomber crews wanting an extra gong to put on the wall ?

I hasten to add that I have the utmost respect for the bravery of the bomber crews and feel that what they did was necessary. I might have some sympathy for the "anti" case if the enemy had been defenceless but the Bomber Command casualties clearly show that not to have been so.

The issue here is the snub to Bomber Command in 1945 by the medal issuing authorities. There are claim and counter claim about how this came about. In the recent biog of Bomber Harris it was said that it was not the personal insult towards him or Churchill and his chief scientist Lord Cherwell distancing themselves from their own offensive plans. This issue will never be solved. Of a particular injustice is the fact that all the ground crews, armourers, clerks, instructors and support people who worked themselves to the bone for the offensive and many died in accidents etc - only got the Defence Medal and Victory Medal for their efforts - think of all the Waafs and people like that - the target interpreters at High Wycombe, even Pastor Bell the critic of the campaign. They were ignored. It was a travesty. They could have had a special bar -but they got nothing. The crews, Harris's "Old Lags" got the Aircrew Europe Star, which is a fair point, but they were the spear of our war effort for a long time on their own. They fought a sustained war sometimes four or five nights a week (and more) for years. They all deserve their medal.