landrover 101 gs

vulcan

Question

4 answers to this question

Depends on your skills. They are expensive to run and get parts for. Silly jobs like changing apark plugs can be a nightmare, and on overun the rumble from the front axle can scare the life out of you the first time! So saying the Landrover 101 assocation are very helpful. Having owned the ambulance variety for a lot of years, I'd not say I miss it.

first off it is an old Land Rover so the mechanicals are straightforward.

The vehicle is robust and although a lot of parts are unique to a 101 they are not that expensive and are readily obtainable either through the Club or commercially

the original V8 engine can be a pain to keep tuned because you need the right equipment to properly balance the twin carbs and its is neither road tax nor MOT exempt so proper maintenance really matters to ensure you pass.

spark plugs depends on which vehicle type you have - a GS is a lot more accessible than an ambi so changing plugs has never been awkward for me

once working the are reliable and as MV they have the great advantage of being extremely practical motors that can be used for many things, many of the owners in the club are not actually into the military side of things and use theirs for other applications especially as campers and overlanders/expedition, one or two use then as daily runarounds or as work vehicles so in that sense a 101 is very practical.

Running costs are no worse than a similar MV (10mpg?) but that's a lot better than my Ferret - it's all relative and you could always convert to LPG if the need arises

the Club will be the place to go if you need help, we are very friendly over there although it does get better if you are a paid up member ! http://www.101club.org/

PS - I'm biased, I'm the Club treasurer

Edited by john fox