Airborne trailers - colour of census numbers

For a project I'm involved in -

Could somebody clarify the position with regard to the colour of the census numbers painted onto airborne trailers?

The regs appear to state that census numbers for airborne formations should be painted in light blue - but most of the restorations I have seen have white census numbers on the trailer - with blue numbers only on the towing jeep. Were the trailers delivered with white numbers (as they could be used by other formations as well) and there were more important things to do than repaint the census numbers on the trailer in pale blue for the sake of uniformity. It does seem difficult to interpret black and white photos in this case

Additionally, were numbers just painted on the offside and rear - or were numbers also seen painted on the nearside as well?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

SK

Morning Simon,

IMG_5009 (Medium).JPG

I now believe they should probably be pale blue and were painted on rear and offside front. I've completed recent restorations in those colours:

IMG_5794 (Medium).JPG

But like you, wasn't sure of colour when restored my AB No1 MkII a few years ago....so it has white numbers!

IMG_4171 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0537 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0547 (Medium).JPG

IMG_5793 (Medium).JPG

I thought that only German WW2 vehicles had tire/tyre pressure markings applied above each wheel. Did WW2 British trailers really have them?

Many a Willys MB/Ford GPW/Hotchkiss M201 otherwise correctly marked for a WW2 era Jeep seem to have the "T.P. 35" painted above each wheel. Often it seems that if one owner applies the "famous T.P. marking" to his MV, his mates do too......

British-AB-Jeep-trailer-w-T.P.-markings_s.jpg

Goran N

My trailer was used on a farm , and had white number on right and rear side , and a friend is just restoring one , and that also had the remains of white numbers. there turned a GPW bonnet up a couple of years ago in the Arnhem area , and it also had the white M number on . So I think it was a mather who painted them , and spare time they had .

I thought that only German WW2 vehicles had tire/tyre pressure markings applied above each wheel. Did WW2 British trailers really have them?

Many a Willys MB/Ford GPW/Hotchkiss M201 otherwise correctly marked for a WW2 era Jeep seem to have the "T.P. 35" painted above each wheel. Often it seems that if one owner applies the "famous T.P. marking" to his MV, his mates do too......

Goran N

I have seen of pics of monty with TP on the wings above the wheels. also R 30 CC 20. I just came across an airborne jeep with TP (being shown to monty) and also parachute jeep with TP.

Always used to scowl at TP's marked everywhere on WW2 US vehicles, but I have seen it on contemporary images.

The standard US practice was to stencil it once, on the dash, but not uncommon to find it above each wheel set.