Ferret help advice please.

Ken Wales

When starting from cold (please note I am in Queensland Australia so never that cold) using first stage of choke. Ferret starts on first attempt and then quickly dies. Trying to start it after that is very difficult, best to leave it and come back in a few minutes. It seems to me that there is a combustible mixture left from previous drive which gives initial start and then there is not sufficient combustible mixture to keep it running.

I have developed a technique of spraying engine start (called start ya bastard) into the air intake air intake with accelerator pressed down and choke closed, I then select second stage of choke and Ferret fires up nicely, I then push the choke back in stages and have Ferret running at a tick over around 800 and I let it warm up for a few minutes. All good so far but when I select a gear and put the engine under load it dies and sometimes stalls. I have tried increasing revs using hand throttle but still seems to be problem. I have to be careful as I am reversing down a shallow ramp from garage into street. Only idea which seems to work is leave the choke out one stage.

If the engine stops and I try to restart it straight away it will not start. If I leave it a few minutes no problem, no choke just starts.

It seems to me

1. When cold the limited combustible material will not keep it running.

2. When won’t start after running (short or long time) (hot or warm) it is probably flooded.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.

· I think I should not have to use my starting technique.

· Stopping the stalling when putting under load.

· Not restarting after stalling or once it has been run.

Re batteries what voltage should I get from voltmeter if batteries good, I would have thought over 24 volts but I am only getting just under 23.50 volts even after charging? I use the socket above the inter vehicle socket to plug voltmeter in.

Thanks in anticipation

dont use choke ! 3/4 pumps of acc pedal then should start check see if accelerator pumps on carb are working take carb intake off with pump of pedal is there two cleans sprays of fuel? i dont try to drive mine until engine temp at least 160 f is the fuel pump working correctly ?have u put volt meter on batts when fsc running at 800 rpm ? when starting mine down to minus 1 centigrade i use no choke.

Edited by griff66

Overhaul the carburettor, changing all the diaphragms, ensure the jets are clean and any filters. Ensure there are no airleaks at the carburettor base or inlet manifold where all nuts should be tight, Check the plugs for gap and fouling, check the points gaps, if you can afford it fit electronic ignition.

Finally if you feel it necessary change the distributor cap and rotor arm. Though I suspect its a carburettor problem, one of the checks should be the cold start mechanism is correctly set and the altitude adjustment works as it can jam in the wrong position.

Diana

When starting from cold (please note I am in Queensland Australia so never that cold) using first stage of choke. Ferret starts on first attempt and then quickly dies. Trying to start it after that is very difficult, best to leave it and come back in a few minutes. It seems to me that there is a combustible mixture left from previous drive which gives initial start and then there is not sufficient combustible mixture to keep it running.

I have developed a technique of spraying engine start (called start ya bastard) into the air intake air intake with accelerator pressed down and choke closed, I then select second stage of choke and Ferret fires up nicely, I then push the choke back in stages and have Ferret running at a tick over around 800 and I let it warm up for a few minutes. All good so far but when I select a gear and put the engine under load it dies and sometimes stalls. I have tried increasing revs using hand throttle but still seems to be problem. I have to be careful as I am reversing down a shallow ramp from garage into street. Only idea which seems to work is leave the choke out one stage.

If the engine stops and I try to restart it straight away it will not start. If I leave it a few minutes no problem, no choke just starts.

It seems to me

1. When cold the limited combustible material will not keep it running.

2. When won’t start after running (short or long time) (hot or warm) it is probably flooded.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.

· I think I should not have to use my starting technique.

· Stopping the stalling when putting under load.

· Not restarting after stalling or once it has been run.

Re batteries what voltage should I get from voltmeter if batteries good, I would have thought over 24 volts but I am only getting just under 23.50 volts even after charging? I use the socket above the inter vehicle socket to plug voltmeter in.

Thanks in anticipation

Plugs, points, condenser, fuel tap and fuel pump. I would do the basics first as already mentioned as loss of power could be down to the condenser breaking down under load.

Fuel constriction through the pipes leading from the tank to the change over tap could also be an issue. Try switching the tap over and have you changed its position at any time in the recent past?

Food for thought

This sounds very like fuel starvation. my guess is that dirt has caused a blockage somewhere between the tank and the engine. Overhauling the carb can be a tricky job if your not use to this kind of work. I would start with undoing your filter and fuel pipes and giving them a blow out with an air line. Also draw out the banjo bolts on the bottom of the tank. You will have to take out the battery's and battery boxes to get proper access to them. A lot (but not all) of them have a mod done to them, a short bit of copper pipe is pressed in to one end to prevent the engine sucking the last 2 or so inches out of the bottom of the tank. Check out this great site for some pictures ( http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/useful_info.htm ) you will need to scroll down almost to the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps.

Ross

dont use choke ! 3/4 pumps of acc pedal then should start check see if accelerator pumps on carb are working take carb intake off with pump of pedal is there two cleans sprays of fuel? i dont try to drive mine until engine temp at least 160 f is the fuel pump working correctly ?have u put volt meter on batts when fsc running at 800 rpm ? when starting mine down to minus 1 centigrade i use no choke.

Tried pumping acc and no choke started well.

Voltage when running 28V.

Hope it starts well Thursday as Ferret in ANZAC parade.

Tried pumping acc and no choke started well.

Voltage when running 28V.

Hope it starts well Thursday as Ferret in ANZAC parade.

Must admit I don't start my Ferret with choke I tend to use the choke after its started as way of fast idling the engine to warm it up quicker. Not right but hey ho it works

I tend not to use choke/cold start with mine too. Although I have noticed that after a 2 or 3 weeks it starts much better if I prime it again with fuel. It must wick back down the pipes to the tank, then the fuel pump has to pull it all back through. So I lightly pressurise the tank through the overflow to prime it if it hasn't run for a while.

We have one fitted to ours as well.

So much better than taking off access plates, crawling underneath and getting dirty!

A definite one for the must do list.....

Diana

I have a 12 volt electric fuel pump on my Ferret.....I pump gas pedal about 4-5 times and starts right off......

Cant agree on that, less strain on battery and starter motor as the engine turns to pump fuel.

With a mechanical pump your pumping until the carburetor is filled with fuel. With an electric pump the fuel is there within a few seconds.

A definite must do like fitting a electronic ignition.

Diana

no if standard fuel pump ok no need to fit electric-one definitly not on must do list!