ASC or RASC Trucks . Longmoor Military Railway .

Morris C8

I received that Longmoor railway book. Despite being unhelpful in identifying this photo or the tank locomotive, it is a really fascinating book!!

Log on to Google maps and use location Longmoor hampshire GU33 from the aerial photo see a lot of the original buildings survive, alas the A3 road now runs through what was the station/junction

Edited by Nick Johns

Looking very, very closely at this truck, the bonnet, radiator and front mudguard are in fact visible in front of the cab; it looks very much the same as the truck nearest the railway line in front of the steam wagon. What appears to be it's front wheel is, I think, another wheel which has been leant against the cab door.

I too looked at this view, but did not consider the chance of an additional wheel being placed beside the truck. Perhaps it could be the trucks own wheel being off for servicing the bronze bush or similar.

However upon looking over that part of the image I did notice the bonnet of a truck and took it to be another truck parked slightly ahead and aside with the rest of the truck hidden behind the first. Areas of shadow under the first truck could suggest wheels for a second behind.

The size of the panel about the cab seems too long for a conventional bonneted cab, which made me consider the option of the forward control type.

In reality we shall never know.

Doug

Can we be certain that this is Longmoor? Several points for discussion:

1) A lot of civilians in the photograph.

2) Although the railway with the train on it looks as if it could well be standard gauge, the stacks of track panels to the left are certainly of a much narrower gauge, possibly 2'? Maybe this is a military depot which was served by the main line but also has its own internal narrow gauge system.

3) The wagon behind the locomotive bears the initials of the London & North Western Railway. Longmoor is way outside this railway's territory. Not conclusive in itself I know, but raises a question.

Still trying to identify the locomotive....

I am not too sure it's the LMR either , although railway wagons such as the LNWR one pictured roamed far from the normal stamping grounds. It's obviously pre 1923 though.

I have been informed it could be a RAF Camp as there are some RAF signs on the trucks and trailers and the small trailers could be for fuel. Just need to find a RAF station / camp that had a railway line at the end of ww1 and just after . RAF Henlow? Manston,? Calshot,? Halton,?

Keith

Longmoor military railway camp r.jpg

fuel.jpg

fuel close up.jpg

Keith gave me the opportunity to study the photo in more detail. Some things which i could not make out on the scans were that the flat trailers all have RAF painted on the side. I didnt notice that to start off with but i noticed first of all that the AEC Y Type at the top right has a circle on the side of the cab which looks like an RAF establishment marking (not the roundel - but a white circle with a number inside). On the same lorry the letters RAF can just be made out on the side of the body above the wheel. The lorry top left (also a Y type) has the white circle marking on the side as well. So, if these are all RAF it is unlikely to be taken at Longmoor. Also the odd looking limbers are not limbers but look to be fuel/oil bowsers or possibly water sterilisers instead. Anyway, it looks likely to be an RAF depot. I am sure that will narrow down the number of possible locations a little bit. Any suggestions please?

Tim

Keith gave me the opportunity to study the photo in more detail. Some things which i could not make out on the scans were that the flat trailers all have RAF painted on the side. I didnt notice that to start off with but i noticed first of all that the AEC Y Type at the top right has a circle on the side of the cab which looks like an RAF establishment marking (not the roundel - but a white circle with a number inside). On the same lorry the letters RAF can just be made out on the side of the body above the wheel. The lorry top left (also a Y type) has the white circle marking on the side as well. So, if these are all RAF it is unlikely to be taken at Longmoor. Also the odd looking limbers are not limbers but look to be fuel/oil bowsers or possibly water sterilisers instead. Anyway, it looks likely to be an RAF depot. I am sure that will narrow down the number of possible locations a little bit. Any suggestions please?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I think the location could be the RAF MT Repair Depot at Harlescott near Shrewsbury. It would appear to have closed around 1932 according to Hansard. Shrewsbury was a railway centre, so its seems a good location to bring equipment in and was the only depot rebuilding RAF kit at that time I believe.

Richard

I realised the locomotive was a rarity, but had not appreciated quite how much!

To be confirmed in a few days by a photograph of one of the Platt locomotives, but thanks to a very helpful industrial railway enthusiast (and I have subsequently done the research to back it up) it looks very much as if this loco was one of nine produced by Daniel Adamson of Hyde, Manchester for Platt Brothers of Oldham (textile machinery manufacturers) sometime between 1866 and 1896. Six of these were 0-4-0 tanks, the remainder 0-6-0s.

The interesting bit is that four of the 0-4-0 locos, named OLDHAM, GREENACRES, CHADDERTON and WERNETH, were sold to the Government in 1916. One was photographed at the Ministry (ROD) locomotive dump at Tattenham Corner at the end of the war in the company of other locomotives that had been returned from France. So these locos may have seen service abroad.

So far nothing has come to light concerning their 'in service' use, but I have a 'line of enquiry' out there amongst the industrial railway gurus which may possibly yield something.

If I can perhaps have a high res. copy of the loco part of this photo, it will be most helpful.

Tony

I think those trailers are water carriers with the two filters mounted high up. If you look at posting number 43 on the 'WW1 Water Cart' thread, you will see a definate similarity. I think that you can even see the hand pumps on the back.

Wonderful photograph!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...