CVR(T) Scimitar - 07 FD 04

sirhc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Withams website the DAF is 145hp and this is 195, but I think it's similar. There are lots of special bits though, like the sump designed to fit between the torsion bars and the flywheel.

Nice work Chris looking forward to hearing it running..

Anorak question no 21 in a series of 250....is that a diesel pulley on the alternator? Bit hard to tell from the pics..

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

no its a petrol one on the alternator, fingers crossed I can line the belt up, if not I'll need to swap it!

Chris

Nice work. Not wanting to get off topic but it might be of interest to some, here is the Diesel conversions to Jordanians are doing at the moment, its a Steyr 3.3 6 cylinder (basically the same as BMW 3L diesels, in 3/5 series and td6 range rover etc), they came in a complete kit form for installation to replace the Jag engines. Made for a nice conversion, smaller and lighter than the Cummins engine, quieter too!

IMG_0457.jpg

Hi Barry,

Interesting photo, thanks for posting. Do you know if the gearbox they used is the petrol one? The input module on the TN15D is geared differently to allow for the slower revving Cummins engine.

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm an ex QDG and I spotted a post on our facebook page regarding a Scimitar thread on this forum, 07 FD 04. This isn't just any old Scimitar, this was one of the vehicles in my Troop when I served in Wolfenbuttel in the early 90s, and whats more I have some pics of her in her original guise! This Scimitar was one of 4 in 2nd trp A Sqn, housed at Northampton barracks in Wolfenbuttel, I joined the Regiment in 87 and it was there then, right up to and after it was sent to the gulf. The only other vehicle I remember from our troop was 07 FD 97, which was my Scimitar. I've had a dig around and found a few pics of her, not in combat mode I should add, but providing the transport for 2 wives on red nose day in a spot of car crushing, I have about 30 pics of the event, but only 1 scanned in at the moment. I may have some other pics of her on exercise but I will have to have a good dig out. In those days many of the storage bins were "Home made and modified from anything that could be bolted to the turret, including ammo boxes, which can be seen in

in the pic. I'll try and get some more scanned in when I get 5 mins and upload them for you. :)

img007 (Medium).jpg

This was taken on red nose day 1990.

I'm ex QDG and have posted this on the QDG Facebook page and this vehicle was 2nd troop A Sqn, the guy that posted it thinks he may have some pictures of it, I shall let you know

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil, it was indeed your link. Its great to see the old girl after so many years! :)

Chris, I'm looking at the other pics now, all taken from different angles, with the CVR in various stages of driving over the cars! :D I was really excited to get this info to you as I know how valuable it is especially after all these years.

Chris,

To (almost) quote 'The Life of Brian' -'you lucky, lucky...person'!!!!

Most of us would kill for just one 'in service' photo of our vehicles - it looks like you're building up a collection!!

I'm sure someone in the Light Dragoons or the 9th / 12th Lancers must have photos too!

I hope that some photos of it in somewhere sandy will show up sooner or later. I am getting close to having all the bits, I still need some turret side bins and all the brackets etc for all 3 of the turret bins.. if anyone can help!

Chris

Nice work. Not wanting to get off topic but it might be of interest to some, here is the Diesel conversions to Jordanians are doing at the moment, its a Steyr 3.3 6 cylinder (basically the same as BMW 3L diesels, in 3/5 series and td6 range rover etc), they came in a complete kit form for installation to replace the Jag engines. Made for a nice conversion, smaller and lighter than the Cummins engine, quieter too!

Was at Withams last week and the gaffer told me they are getting 400 Diesel CVRTs ( all the non-turreted versions), but they are all going to the Jordanians.

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I wrote anything here, but a few things have been happening. We took a break from the Scimitar to give the Spartan a quick refurb before W&P, we fitted some Messier dampers, a plastic fuel tank, new sprockets and wheels and gave the whole thing a coat of paint. That took longer than expected, but we have made a small amount of progress on the Scimitar too.

The dash is all wired in, but something is wrong and it seems to be shorting out somewhere. I need to go through the wires again soon. In the mean time I have acquired most of the rest of the bits. I have got hold of a burnt out ex-Belgian Scimitar turret. This has been blasted inside and out, and painted. I need to find a padding kit for the inside. I was able to locate a mantlet from a scrap Sabre, the chain gun hole needs filling in and it needs cleaning up, but it will do the job. I also have all the sights and periscopes, but not the side bins yet.

We have assembled the turret ring, which I got as a kit of parts. There are something like 198 balls to fit inside the bearing race, it wasn't too bad but needs some fettling now as it's a bit loose. Once this is sorted, the turret can go on.

IMG_5055.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

mantlet removed.jpg

SAM_4729.jpg

Do you have to make up your own padding or is it readily available?

Andy

I had a lead on a complete kit, but it's not come to anything yet. My plan is to make it complete externally then do the insides... So not great rush for it and ill make it if I have to!

• 3 months later...

Had a good day today, we got the engine running and it sounds really sweet. A couple of weeks ago I spent a few hours messing about in the instrument panel and we were able to get the engine turning over. The fuel pump refused to do anything, so I swapped it for another one. The engine started, ran for a few seconds and then died.

Then we looked in the fuel tank and saw this horrible orange mess! It wasn't very deep, maybe an inch or so, but it must have been 75% water, 20% diesel and 5% fungus!

IMG_7221.jpg

Todays job was to empty the tank, clean it out and refill with clean diesel.

IMG_7225.jpg

I put a new filter in, bled the system and now the engine starts on the button. There's a bit more wiring to do as the rev counter doesn't work yet. Next jobs are to get the cooling system sorted, the prop shaft on and the brakes and steering bled and see if it moves.

Chris

Heres a few more, not scans but just used the camera on my iphone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75004[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75005[/ATTACH]

Appologies for hi jacking the thread. Is that "C reg" in the third photo in the denims?