wheel barrows

nz2

While doing some repair work yesterday on a wheel barrow, I wondered as to the design and type used by support forces during The Great War. I have located photos of hand carts for transporting fodder about horse stables and veterinary sites, but no signs of a wheel barrow.Also photos of sack barrows in use about wharves and whare houses.

One of my sons collected up years ago cast iron wheels from different manufacturers as used on wheel barrows of the time. These are of local manufacture, being cast in New Zealand with a wooden frame and box.

I assume those used in wartime Europe would be of similar structure.

Doug

Hi Doug

On the subject of wheelbarrows used by British and Allied forces, during World War 1, the Chinese labour units in the British Army had their own single wheeled barrow. This had a wheel approximately 24" in diameter by 2" wide.

This barrow was constructed from wood and the wheel itself was constructed the same as a cartwheel. This Chinese labourers used them to move ammunition on to the narrow gauge railway wagons used up to the trenches. An example was housed at the old museum of army transport, and I believe it is now in the collection of the national army museum London, and they may also have some photographs of them in use.

Regards Wally

I wonder what the diggers would have thought of today's imported wheelbarrows? I have a good recycled plastic tub with a frame held together by its paint. The frame rusted out in one winter - thin!! - I reckon the paint was thicker than the steel tube.

I wonder what the diggers would have thought of today's imported wheelbarrows? I have a good recycled plastic tub with a frame held together by its paint. The frame rusted out in one winter - thin!! - I reckon the paint was thicker than the steel tube.

Well, I suppose that the common denominator between this and Wally's post is China???:angel:

Some years ago I remember seeing in the Science Museum Reserve Collection at Wroughton, the Chinese wind-powered wheel barrow used by a priest to cross the Sahara in 94 days.

Incidentally wheel barrows in Army stables used to have to be coated with tar.

Intrigued, I looked this up. Creosote, which we used to preserve fence posts before the days of treated pine, was used to mask the smell of the cesspits during the great war. They must have used a lot of it. Creosote (2%) was also found to make the best louse insecticide in combination with naphthalene (96%) and iodoform (2%). I have given you the formula because I know you will all want to go off and make some. The downside of its use was that apparently creosote is noted as causing cancer in the scrotum of chimney sweeps. Not sure how that translated on the western front. Just thought you might like to know all this... but not sure why. Cheers.

Intrigued, I looked this up. Creosote, which we used to preserve fence posts before the days of treated pine, was used to mask the smell of the cesspits during the great war. They must have used a lot of it. Creosote (2%) was also found to make the best louse insecticide in combination with naphthalene (96%) and iodoform (2%). I have given you the formula because I know you will all want to go off and make some. The downside of its use was that apparently creosote is noted as causing cancer in the scrotum of chimney sweeps. Not sure how that translated on the western front. Just thought you might like to know all this... but not sure why. Cheers.

Thanks.....now im going to have to stop rubbing the stuff on my nuts and give up the sweep business.....!!!! So much for free enterprise!!!:nut:

I take it the comment regards the Chinese wheel barrow with a wooden wheel used in moving ammunitions was a safety measure to reduce the explosion risk. This would be handling loaded shells.

The use of the wheel barrow by the ASC and the Engineers I thought would have given us far more photos than the few available.

I do not think that the construction and use of the chinese wheel barrow had any thing to do with health and safety, more due to the fact that they were ideal for the terrian they were used on. just a few facts about the men that used them, the british goverment recruited 140.000 chinese labourers on vital work behind the front lines for which they were paid 3 francs a day. By 1918 the british goverment stated that 2000 had died from spanish flu and direct enemy action but later figures increased this figure to 10,000 chinese figures state that it was more likely that 20,000 had died. Some of these are buried at the french cemetery at noyelles-sur-mer, as to the lack of photographs most of the ones I have seen showing the chinese wheel barrow are at amunition depots with narrow gauge locos.

regards

Wally

After looking up "Great War" and "Chinese wheelbarrow" on the web, I discovered 39 interesting facts about the "great wall" but not a great deal about wheelbarrow use in WW1. Seriously though, the use of the large-diameter-wheeled barrow seems a good fit with the terrain behind the front line. Can we assume they were used to cart "ammunition and other stuff" to and from the front, as opposed to supplying heavy artillery units which were usually miles back from the front and often within reach of roads and narrow gauge railways. Having studied Australia's siege brigades over many years I have never come across mention of wheelbarrows or their use. I would be very interested to know of references to their use by any heavy artillery. Robert

Slightly off theme true wheelbarrow story for you.

I worked in the marine industry here in Victoria Australia for the Port of Melbourne Authority. One of the wharfies asked for and received written permission from Management to take home a wheelbarrow full of wood offcuts from the shipwrights shop each week.

It only took 9 weeks before we ran out of wheelbarrows.

True, Rick.