Rarden elevation gear - fault of my own making

john fox

err, I have allowed people :( to use the Rarden barrel as a means to climb on board my Fox and I think this is why the elevation is now knackered, very stiff to elevate and only limited movement

I realise it's hard to diagnose on such limited info, but I'd really appreciate suggestions as to what is involved in me servicing this, eg. am I looking at full gun removal and replacement parts or can anything be done with gun in situ in turret?

Edited by john fox

Did it used to move freely? The mantlet on my Sabre was quite stiff but seems to have freed off having been worked a few times. It also got progressively harder as it approached the full range of travel but is now much better..

The elevation gear is often stuck solid on vehicles that have been left out in all weathers. It is caused by rainwater flowing down the side of the mantlet and going down the elevation screw into the gearbox (because the original rubber boot to prevent this is usually no longer effective).

The gearbox is relatively simple to remove, complete with elevation screw and nut....its just a few bolts.

You can now check that the mantlet bearings are not the main cause!

When you have the gearbox on the bench, remove the circlip and operating handle (don't loose the woodruff key!).

Remove the chaincase and inspect the chain and tensionner...these can also rust up solid!

You will probably find that the upper swinging bearing is solid and preventing the screw from rotating. This can be freed off with lots of WD40 and is often good enough to re-assemble and work fine.

That reminds me... I have to do one of mine next week....same symptoms.

Jon

When you remove the elevation assembly. Be VERY carefull NOT to lose the thin shims either side of the Axis Pin at the top of the elevation shaft!

These prevent sideways movement of the gun as far as is possible.

They are approx 2" in diameter, & very thin!

You MIGHT also have some at the bottom mounting point axis pin as well.