The Strange Tale of the 1000lb Bomb

Tootles

Question

Some twenty years ago, when thinking of moving, I agreed to lend my British 1000lb HE common iron bomb, (empty of coarse), complete with fins, to an aviation museum in Yorkshire, somewhere near to Sheffield, if my memory serves me correctly. I had found and purchased said bomb from a scrap yard in Bury, Lancs, refurbished it, and had it on display in my garden.

Anyway, the museum in question duly arrived, picked up the 'parcel', left me with some paperwork, now lost, I regret to say, and left with a promise to return the bomb after five years.........

Never heard from them again.

Now, does this sad story strike a memory chord with any members?? The bomb was painted black, complete with HE marking rings, tail painted silver. It was built mid fused, the fuse hole itself covered with a stainless steel plate. Silly fool me could have sold it to a film company at the time, they were pushing hard, but thinking to do the correct thing, this museum got it instead.

Any ideas???

Dave.

16 answers to this question

crikey.:embarrassed:...is no one now left at the museum that you dealt with back then?....or...what about photos of it in your garden or in your workshop maybe ??... a very difficult situation......I would like to think that if it was a 'proper' museum they'd have records of any donated exhibits but..... :undecided:

So are you saying you're not sure which museum it was?

Andy

Well, I have a feeling it was something like 'South Yorkshire Aviation Museum'.......They had just opened, and were short of exhibits. A friend of mine at the time had given them my number, and frankly, I was so under pressure with work, the MVT and family, that I just said 'come and pick it up'. At the time I owned a Ferret Mk2, a Fordson ET6 ex RAF ambulance, A Humber 1 ton, and an MRA1...........

I'm sure we have all been there. It was only after the passage of time, when the bomb seemed to have 'disappeared', as had the bulk of my other commitments, that my thoughts turned to it. It was only with joining this forum, and finding memories going back a bit, that it came back to me.

There are more capable museum experts than me on here but the museum must either have been a company of some sort or a charity of some sort. In either case there are legal obligations that can be exercised to either recover the item or at least discover its fate (and if money changed hands).

You might also check if the museum was a member of the Museums Association; they have codes of conduct.

Rather sadly though even national museum insitiutions are not immune from this sort of poor practice (and its not for me to say whether it is conspiracy or cock up), and anyone wanting to give themselves a nasty feeling might take a look at the fate of many of the items forming the RCT collection (and others) that used to be in the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley. Once upon a time it was widely regarded as the best collection of its kind on the planet. Now where is it??

There are more capable museum experts than me on here but the museum must either have been a company of some sort or a charity of some sort. In either case there are legal obligations that can be exercised to either recover the item or at least discover its fate (and if money changed hands).

You might also check if the museum was a member of the Museums Association; they have codes of conduct.

Rather sadly though even national museum insitiutions are not immune from this sort of poor practice (and its not for me to say whether it is conspiracy or cock up), and anyone wanting to give themselves a nasty feeling might take a look at the fate of many of the items forming the RCT collection (and others) that used to be in the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley. Once upon a time it was widely regarded as the best collection of its kind on the planet. Now where is it??

Indeed, I visited there with my dear Granddad when he was walking this planet, it was a fantastic museum, and now its all gone... to whom.

Indeed. I remember the Military Museum at Cave, in North Wales. The premises were inside an old wartime ammunition complex, and very interesting it was as well. Then one day....gone, and gone too a lot of the vehicles. A Cambridge Carrier I had a part share in just disappeared....

And so with Beverley. There was, in the grounds, one of the only two Mercedes water cannon used in Northern Ireland during the early period of 'The Troubles'. The last news I had of it was that the local youth had vandalised much if what remained of this very rare and historic vehicle.

It sounds like AeroVenture at Doncaster, I think they originally opened under the other name. They were short of exhibits in the early days so it seems to fit the scenario. It is quite a good spot these days so it might be worth a visit and nosey round to see if anything 'fits your bill'. They run an MV event in September.

It sounds like AeroVenture at Doncaster, I think they originally opened under the other name. They were short of exhibits in the early days so it seems to fit the scenario. It is quite a good spot these days so it might be worth a visit and nosey round to see if anything 'fits your bill'. They run an MV event in September.

Many thanks for that, and I will do as you suggest. :D

So many thanks Stu, really indebted to you. I have returned your PM. Aeroventure have constantly refused to return my calls over a long period, and in a way I sort of gave up. Now I must discuss with them it's future. Failing that, I will put it on the market, cant be to many around. It is the same type as was used in the Falklands Vulcan raid in '82.

Thanks again mate.

Dave.

Edited by Tootles
cant spell

I'm sure Aeroventure will have the documentation relating to your bomb.

Speaking from the other side of the fence, as it were, we always make sure that we've got good title to stuff by getting people to complete a donation form or a loan form when stuff comes into the museum. Sadly, from time to time we get family members who realise that the bit of kit that a now-deceased relative donated many years ago is worth a lot of money now, and demand its return. It leaves a nasty taste when you tell them they can't have it. We even had somebody demanding back an item that we'd bought on the open market!

....... Sadly, from time to time we get family members who realise that the bit of kit that a now-deceased relative donated many years ago is worth a lot of money now, and demand its return. It leaves a nasty taste when you tell them they can't have it. We even had somebody demanding back an item that we'd bought on the open market!

I can imagine that must happen....some long lost/son/cousin etc suddenly remembers Grandad / Uncle etc had an old 'insert suitable item' and asked where it's gone?...must be a bit of a problem:-(

also though....how do you deal with it should someone turn up and have claim to something that may have been simply 'stolen' and perhaps sold to you as a 'genuine item' or that you have bought 'completely legitimately' from a third party ... or even more complicated...perhaps the item has been 'sold on' to you in good 'original faith' but it turns out that the 'seller' may have thought he was able to do so but simply didn't actually have the families/owners permission?..

I do sympathise... it must be a bit of a nightmare to deal with?..

anyways! glad this old bomb has turned up and sorry for the waffle ! :)

Spent most of Sunday trying to get this chap, but he was always 'going to phone me back', but never did......However, plenty more weekends left.

To be honest, I would gladly have donated said missile, IF the museum had contacted me at the end of the loan period. (Got a photo of the damned thing somewhere, will post when I find it). I'm afraid that my charitable side has been worn flat a bit about this, and under the original loan terms, they did agree to return it after the set time.

I just want to reach an amicable position with them. They may have a load more of them now.

Dave.

Just to finish this thread off, the museum contacted me today, and we are arranging a mutual agreement whereby full ownership is transferred to them

Many thanks for all those who helped me with this, and also to those who sent suggestions.

Dave.