Jeep first registration V55/5 form

Hope so, its one less hurdle as I'm losing the will to live with all the paperwork :-X

If the vehicle has been registered already, then you could have an argument, because it is known to exist. If it's an import, that's where the MOT comes in, as much for yes there is a lump of metal fitting the paper description.

Down on knees, and pray DVLA HAS actually got a procedure with the new regulations! My info was that for first registration a vehicle will still need the intial MOT to prove existence and fit for road etc. Ferrets have always had thier own rules compared to soft skin.

• 3 months later...

OK guys thought I would close this off having now registered the Jeep.

I'm pleased to say it was an anti climax and straight forward.

Its now handled by post to Swansea not your local office. No MOT is needed if its an older exempt vehicle.

I had to send -

• V55/5 - Just fill in the bits the guidance notes asks for
  • A Utility Bill (proof of address)
  • Age verification letter from MVT
  • Copy of drivers licence (proof of id)
  • Insurance Certificate on chassis number (Needs to be full on the road cover not garage policy)
  • Cheque for £55

If the car was imported outside the EU -

• Customs form stating import taxes paid
  • Original log book if you have it.

A week later I had a Reg number and tax disc :cheesy::cheesy:

OK guys thought I would close this off having now registered the Jeep.

I'm pleased to say it was an anti climax and straight forward.

Its now handled by post to Swansea not your local office. No MOT is needed if its an older exempt vehicle.

I had to send -

• V55/5 - Just fill in the bits the guidance notes asks for

• A Utility Bill (proof of address)

• Age verification letter from MVT

• Copy of drivers licence (proof of id)

• Insurance Certificate on chassis number (Needs to be full on the road cover not garage policy)

• Cheque for £55

If the car was imported outside the EU -

• Customs form stating import taxes paid

• Original log book if you have it.

A week later I had a Reg number and tax disc :cheesy::cheesy:

Is that correct ??? Part of the problem I had with my PIG was that they wanted to view it and I explained the Pig was not roadworthy and not easily transportable. In the end I got a credit note. I had of course obtained the Insurance (on Chassis No) and age verification letter from MVT etc. If this is now done via post as you say then that is a massively better exercise. PS! Yes I still need to sort it, but whilst in storage it hasn't been a life or death situation.

Glad to know the system works!!

The letter I send out with the MVT verification cert covers all that process

And absolutely correct that no MOT is needed even if the vehicle is imported and this is its first registration (just form V112 or V112G for a vehicle that comes under testing and plating but is exempt)

Would be interested to know where the info came from that it would need an MOT before registration...........there is nothing in the regs to say that. Fit for road is covered by the declaration you make on V112 and the fact that C&U regs and Lighting regs say a vehicle must be roadworthy before it is used on the road. That is the drivers responsibility

Other posters are quite correct that HMRC are now very interested to ensure the correct duty has been paid on imported vehicles

Even had a request from the owner of a Leyland Martian to issue a covering letter to say that it was built in the UK and was not built abroad and imported !!

Edited by Brooky

Other posters are quite correct that HMRC are now very interested to ensure the correct duty has been paid on imported vehicles

Even had a request from the owner of a Leyland Martian to issue a covering letter to say that it was built in the UK and was not built abroad and imported !!

Where do they think a Martian comes from ? Which planet have they been living on ?