Jeep first registration V55/5 form

Hi All,

I need to register the Jeep and trying to fill out form V55/5.

Could some kind soul with a Jeep log book have a look and tell me what threy have written against the following please, I have put what I think -

Tax Class - is it just the words Exempt?

Manufacturer - Willys

Make - ? I would think

..sorry hadnt finished -

Make - ??

Model - MB Jeep

Type of Body - Open?

Wheelplan -

Type Approval - Exempt?

Type ?

Variant ?

Version ?

HC g/km ?

Number of seats - 3 or 4? (Bench for 2) ?

Max Net Power ?

Technical Permissable Maximum Towable Mass of the trailer Braked / Unbraked ???

Track width ?/

CO2 g/km ?

Mass in service ?

Particulates ?

HC + NOx ?

Trailer weight ?

Stationary sound level ?

Engine speed sound level ?

Do I really need all this? :undecided:

Thank you

I have a photo copy of my Jeeps first V5 which has a lot of blanks on it . The info given is its reg no (obviously)

date of first reg (in this country) Make - Willys . Nothing for type ,model or body type . Taxation class is Historic Vehicle . There are figures for Revenue Weight and Cylinder Capacity . Fuel - petrol . Wheelplan 2 axle rigid body . Chassis No and colour . Everything else is blank . No idea if this is standard and doubtless somebody will soon be along to tell me this is totally incorrect and/or illegal . As far as I'm aware mine was first reg'd around the Ashford area - certainly all the tax discs are stamped Ashford .

Hope this is a bit of help to you .

DM .

I took my form up to the local DVLA, as I was totally confused! The end result was only about three things need filling in and they did it all for me. The other useful thing about personal visit is that you get a say in the VEN. I managed to get Katy's original English registration back. Note, if the vehicle has been previously English registered, no charge! Also they check all the paperwork you have brought with you for age etc, so if there is a problem you can send it on, much better than post, they find a mistake, post back to you, rectify mistake etc........

I think that it will all be quite straight forward for you. When I did ours in Exeter, the first question was - "Have you got a letter? (verification from MVT in our case)" and with a "yes" answer to that there was no problem. Was given the V55 and was told to "go over there to a desk and fill it in but a lot of it you will not be able to fill in so just leave it blank". When I did hand it in with lots of blank spaces, it was scarcely given a second glance.

Tony

Rex Cadman will also do the letter. I think that you will need an MOT as well and evidence of insurance.

yes, but you need the form from DVLA before booking the MOT. Quick point you will need front position indicator lights (Sidelights), they are required for any vehicle post 1935, my guy was kind and allowed the front convoy lights, but worth fitting a set before you go. Once all paperwork is in place, DVLA send you a notification of the number to get plates made, they say ten days, mine took three. The catch is prove First use prior to 1960, to get the future MOT waver.As or reg number, mine had had an English reg, I asked just out of nosiness was it still available, a nice lady checked and said yes, no problem, it hasn't been reissued so we'll just take the export marker off.

Edited by Tony B

Yes a first MOT is still needed it shows the vehicle actually exists, and is safe and fit to be put on the register. Indicators, no funnily enough, side lights yes. BUT if indicators are fitted they must work! Hazard flashers not needed, but again if fitted must work. Best bet is go talk to local MOT stations and find one who knows the drill, there are a lot of exemptions but some odd funnies. When the number is first inserted it will start the process of generating the VL5. I'm lucky I've an MV friendly place near by.

V55/5 Alert - V55/5 Alert :trustme:

Did they give you a VAT 414 form with the V55/5? If not, then expect to have one thrust at you. That'll wipe the smile off your face :cool2: I think this is a new policy as from end of November 2012 (ish).

This may - or may not - give you a problem. You need to be able to prove that import duty was paid when your jallopy from Uncle Sam came into the country. Only a letter from the manufacturer will suffice - I was told nothing else will do.

I haven't tested the water yet - but I think it will depend very much on who processes your application. You may be lucky - if so let us know. Keep well away from the office I went to......

Worst case scenario you'll have to pay VAT in lieu of import duty - but only if you can get the application to be considered in the first place without the right documentation. And VAT on what? Original price? Current value?

I'll put the kettle on, shall I? :laugh:

Edited by N.O.S.

Phew! Katy was accepted by Customs as my personal property, and all I got was 'Safe journey home'. Actually this is not new. Some years back a n Austin K3 was brought over from Jersey, we went to pick it up at Portsmouth and were told 'Hang on, before you go VAT! What is the vehicle worth?'. I said 'Oh about £250' . The shipping company said fine and I paid over about £30 and took off like a rocket out of the port.

If a vehicle has been imported I thought form 386 (I think that's it) covered import fees showing they've been paid. Is vat on top of the import fees a new hurdle?

I'm not aware of a form 386. This form VAT 414 is the same thing by the sound of it - it asks if DUTY and VAT have been paid. ITIRIS that they charge VAT in lieu of Import Duty where this has not been paid or no proof can be given that it has, but maybe you'll get clobbered VAT AND Import Duty.

The problem now is getting proof of importation and duty paid. for example if you go into Europe and haul back an old MV on a low loader, chances are you will not be stopped at Customs so you will not have to pay any import duty, nor in all probability will you have paid any VAT.

Or what about an old U.S. MV you've just bought that has been here since the war, unregistered. Only evidence they say they will accept is letter from manufacturer (impossible in many instances) and they do not offer an alternative. means of providing evidence. Of course duty was not paid, but they're not really interested in this (unless this hobby is so big that payment of duty on restored wartime MVs can bail us out of economic decline?).

No, this is legislation designed to prevent vehicle import fraud etc, and looks like HMRC are now forcing DVLA to police this. Unfortunately we are caught up in the web with no formal 'wave-you-through we're not after you' route.

But as I say, maybe you'll be lucky and get your application dealt with by a sensible headed person :)

Edited by N.O.S.