Carrier pidgeon message now part de-coded (according to DM)

Smithy

• 1 month later...

Please be advised :-

The BBC seems to have come up with a slightly more accurate analysis of the 'interpretation' of the message carried by the pigeon - compared to the DM's attempt at reporting the result, and it's unjustified remarks about Bletchley Park:

Quoted Text

An encrypted World War II message found in a fire place strapped to the remains of a dead carrier pigeon may have been cracked by a Canadian enthusiast.

Gord Young, from Peterborough, in Ontario, says it took him 17 minutes to decypher the message after realising a code book he inherited was the key.

Mr Young says the 1944 note uses a simple World War I code to detail German troop positions in Normandy.

GCHQ says it would be interested to see his findings.

Has World War II carrier pigeon message been cracked?

E-mail E-mail

There are a couple of 'Classic' Pigieon messages on record from the Great War. One was a bird carrying the message from one of the first tanks. 'Had to let the poor bird go. It was looking so miserable'. The other from a Canadian Detachment that had three birds sent to them. One returned with the message 'The other two were delicious, please ssend more'. :-D

One of the first German Dictates in the Island's was the confisacation and destruction of all trained Pigieons.

Well his assumption of the whole WW1 thing based on the spelling Serjeant is obviously out as a number of regiments retained that variation of the spelling until after WW2.

Plus the fact acronyms would have been pre-determined between the sender and receiver as making them up as you went along meant the person at the other end would end up scratching their head trying to figure it out. This would mean that the code would have been a common one in use across the forces and would have been one the first things checked by GCHQ.

Firstly, the bulk of his "translations" consist of saying "i know where the enemy is" in a number of different ways without -and this is the important bit- without actually saying where!. Even given the time it takes for the pigeon to fly back it's still valuable information to know where he was, far more valuable than knowing your man knew where he was.

Also, the code is in blocks of 5 letters, but Mr Young insists one of them is:

PABLIZ - Panzer Attack - Blitz

A block that is 6 letters long. Except when you look at the original message you can clearly see that it is actually PABUZ, so clearly this man is suffering from tunnel vision/obsession denial - he so wants his solution to work he makes the evidence fit the theory and not the other way around.

In fact of the eight blocks he has "decoded", three of them he has inserted words there aren't initials for.

Two have been altered to fit pre-perceived outcomes, the aforementioned PABUZ and the numbers at the end. The original has 27 then a large space then 1526/6, while Mr Youngs interpretation is that it says 27/1526/6 or 15:26 on the 27th June.

At least one has incorrect information, or contradicts the rest of the "translation". The opening block that is supposed to say he is in K sector, now i could be wrong, but my experience with RAF documents say they didn't have lettered sectors after the actual landings, using standard grid references or referencing nearby features. On the actual day of the invasion itself K sector would be King sector, Gold beach, but that would be irrelevant by the 27th June (if the message is indeed from that date).

The other two blocks are useless instances of "i know where the enemy is".

In all i think Mr Young has made a good effort, but has fallen short of the mark.

EDIT: I've also just noticed that the code he gives as FNFJW actually read FNFJU on the original!

I have to say Im really not convinced by this story....he seems to have come up with a random collection of words related to the war, such as 'panzer' and 'jerry' and tried to suggest that this consitutes a message, but most of what he's come up with doesnt even make sense! Or am I missing something?

The standard block has always been five caracthers. But also the addition of 'Nulls', meaningless leters either to add confusion or to make up odd blocks. If it was a feild message then most likley it would be in BATCO. or SLIDEX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BATCO

Doubt it was BATCO, that was introduced in the Eighties :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

World War II pigeon code 'could be unbreakable'

26 December 2012 Last updated at 10:00

An encrypted World War II message found in a fire place strapped to the remains of a dead carrier pigeon remains a mystery.

Top government code breakers and people around the world have attempted to crack the code.

John Maguire reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20843647