Greetings from Kentucky

maxmwill

I just joined and thought that it'd be nice to wave hello to everyone and introduce myself.

First off, it is kinda like a "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and fame..............", but not really, because I'm just a little guy, not of much consequence, just another iternant A&P mechanic who has a long-standing hankering for modelling.

Anywho, I've been a modeller since I was knee-high to a grasshopper(literally, as my introduction to modelling was a Fokker D7 Guillow kit on my 5th birthday. The kit didn't survive very long, but my fascination and later love of modelling did, up to this very day, and doesn't look to die down any time soon).

In then intervening years, I have spent a certain amount of time being chaufferred by Uncle Sam's Canoe Club(actually, stationed in VA195(Dambusters) on the USS Kittyhawk(if anyone is curious, I could let you know what the 'Kitty" was referred to, but won't right now, because I really don't want to say any obscenities in a public forum, as well aswhat I learned the A7 was referred to by the Air Force, other than to say that it was SLUF, but won't explain unless someone really wants me to, the via private message), and after, with Life intruding on a continuing modelling career, I became a civilian A&P mechanic.

During this time, I have had occasion to work on birds such as the Wichita Spam Cans(what the various Cessna 100 series aircraft are referred as), various Beeches, including a short time with a certain Staggerwing, then Boeings, including the 247(which was being restored at Payne Field, Everett, WA), a Hiller H23B Raven at a training FBO(for some strange reason, the boss thought he could teach budding helo pilots with the Hiller Killer instead of the more logical choice of the Robinson R22 or R44), with a smattering of other types such as a 1929 Wichita Fokker(a Travelair 2000) and a Tommy Morse(where I found out that you shouldn't spin the engine while touching one of the ignition wires, because they are #22 bell wire with no insulation, and that magneto can bite, and bite hard).

Many years ago, I saw a photo of a Model T Hucks starter, and thought that I will model that someday. since then, I had been searching high and low for a kit of this, and can up empty handed, but the dream still stuck with me.

Recently, I discovered the wonders of Google Image Search, and have been having a ball looking up pics of every modelling subject I have thought of ever since I was but a wee lad playing truant in the halcyon days of misspent youth. You see, according to my son, not only am I old, stupid, and useless(him speaking from the "o so lofty" position of the immortal youth), I am also older than dinosaur dirt simply because I attended high school in those years referred to as "BC", or "before computers", and to his continuing chagrin and embarrassment, I cheerfully admit to this, repeatedly, and especially if any of his friends come over for visits to the family "estate".

Anyway, I discovered the Model T Hucks in my Google Pic Searches.

And found a 1/32 scale model of a Model T(the Lindberg Cabriolet kit, and have since learned why I don't like to put Lindberg kits together, because the parts fit is just this side of atrocious), which has helped re-kindle(is this a valid word?) my desire to build a reasonable rendition of the Model T Hucks.

So, along with this introduction, I have a couple questions: Are there any reasonably drawn three-views of the Model T Hucks, in such sites as HPC(or others)?, or, as I've been told elsewhere, would I just have to "wing it" by modifying a given kit(the afore-mentioned Lindberg kit) and using that dimensional perspective(again, is this a valid phrase?) and cutting and fitting the additional parts to fit the model?

Also, are there any pics of that side of the "cockpit" which show the engagement lever for the starter drive shaft(I've found plenty which show the driver's side, with the transmission shift column, but nothing reasonably clear enough of the other side)?

And finally, is the color of the whole vehicle an olive drab, French khaki, or what?

In closing, this is my first car model, as well as my first model of any kind of ground support equipment, other than an abortive attempt at building a Kettenkrad two tractor(over 30 years ago, so please allow for the vintage), in which I never could "get it right", as well as there never was a reasonable facsimile of a tow bar available at the time, because, other than the afore-mentioned Hucks Starter, I never really had all that much interest in "ground bound" vehicles. Looks like that has now changed. But then, isn't that what modelling is all about, branching out and learning new things, ideas, and ways to "look at things" in general? As well as meeting new people and sharing things one has learnt.

Unfortunately this video shows the Shuttleworth T Huck already set up with drive lever (wherever it is) engaged - the operator merely moves the column mounted throttle lever on left of steering wheel to activate the drive. have you found the other Youtube video of an olive drab Huck driving around? Great for modelling detail.

Try the Shuttleworth Collection for more images of their T Huck. If nobody on here can help you could always bang an email across to them and ask the question :-)

Unfortunately this video shows the Shuttleworth T Huck already set up with drive lever (wherever it is) engaged - the operator merely moves the column mounted throttle lever on left of steering wheel to activate the drive. have you found the other Youtube video of an olive drab Huck driving around? Great for modelling detail.

Try the Shuttleworth Collection for more images of their T Huck. If nobody on here can help you could always bang an email across to them and ask the question :-)

I hadn't thought to fire off an email to Shuttleworth, which kinda shows my age:red:(I'm actually more comfy with the tech of the teens, which is when aluminum airframes first came into commercial reality, and the tech of the late 20s, when the radial engine became a commercially viable, read:reasonably reliable, reality).

I'll do that in a few.