Landrover series 3 engine REQUIRED URGENTLY

Mark Collins

Hi all,

I need some help I've just received a call to say the engine on my landrover has a seriously cracked head and block, so I am after a secondhand one if anyones got on for sale as I have been quoted between £1300-£1500 for a second hand one (fitted) it must be a 2.25cc petrol engine.

As this is what's in there at the moment.

I live in Sussex and if it could be delivered ( willing to pay fuel money) to the garage it's at then that would be preferred.

Sent from my MT15i

Edited by Mark Collins

The engine as such dosen't care about voltage. It is the rest of the electrics that do that. :-D

A 24v engine is slightly different(front cover that holds the 24v Genny is different and twin pulleys for the belts) but as said the engine does'nt care whats bolted on to it.

Has anyone any ideas what mpg one of these engines should do? The one in my lightweight appears to be returning about 12 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Depends on how you drive ir.

I get about 15 out of my 109 on a run, last time I checked.

Have not bothered checking since, but then do not do many miles anyway.

Mike

Depends on how you drive ir.

I get about 15 out of my 109 on a run, last time I checked.

Have not bothered checking since, but then do not do many miles anyway.

Mike

Might be worth a timing check. A few degrees on my two Dodges has given me an extra couple of miles, and on their fuel consumption, that's significant! :-D

A Land Rover S2A and S3 24 volt engine ,has a unique front timing case cover with additional mountings for a 24 volt genny bracket , so some work is needed to change over a 12 volt engine , also depending , the dizzy drive may need a few changed components.

Such as a 40A "Toastie" has a different genny bracket (not involving the timing case cover).

Has anyone any ideas what mpg one of these engines should do? The one in my lightweight appears to be returning about 12 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

===

A fit engine , the benchmark is about 18/20 mpg when warmed up , country roads / gearchanges - a little less BUT a basic 109" or 88" should not drop below 15 mpg even with X country tyres. Tyres make a / the big difference, 205R16" on a 88" with a overdrive on a long run (motorways) & towing a trailer - I get 20 to 24 mpg and that is the tops with a petrol.

===

A fit engine , the benchmark is about 18/20 mpg when warmed up , country roads / gearchanges - a little less BUT a basic 109" or 88" should not drop below 15 mpg even with X country tyres. Tyres make a / the big difference, 205R16" on a 88" with a overdrive on a long run (motorways) & towing a trailer - I get 20 to 24 mpg and that is the tops with a petrol.

Worn jets? Landy carbs have a nasty habit of that.

Might be worth a timing check. A few degrees on my two Dodges has given me an extra couple of miles, and on their fuel consumption, that's significant! :-D

I did my last check about 2 years ago since then it has had a few issues.

Which meant it has had a casb rebuild, plugs and a few other adjustments, so is possibly a bit better.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

12 seems a bit low unless you are heavy footed. I recall I used to get about 20 from my lightweight and about the same from my Rover Saloon (80) which had the same engine. My 110 V8 did about 12 when towing.

The carbs can be problematic and can leak. I once bought a lwb and found it would only run with the choke out. It had been fitted with a brand new (Indian?) carb and further investigation showed that the float bowl was full of swarf and this was blocking the main jet!

Have you looked at plug colour?Is the choke going fully off?

Hope this helps,

M