RAF suopport vehicles during the Battle of Britain

mshackleton

Hi guys

I'm thinking of modelling a Battle of Britain diorama based around a Spitfire or Hurricane. What would be suitable RAF vehicles to support our famous fighters? I'm thinking fuel tankers, crew trucks, armament trucks, even private cars perhaps? Anything really to add interest to the scene.

Cheers

Mike

Mike go into IWM collection search lots of period vehicles. The Albion refueller with 3 booms was developed specifically for fighter Ops, also in use trailer bowser - brockhouse torsion bar - at that time towed by Fordson tractor,; general use were Crossley and Albion 6x4 and Albion 4x2. also Fordson Sussex but most of those were with balloon command. Snipe utility, once delivered to dispersal ammo normally taken on a handcart to each aircraft. Ops for each sqn was normally the dispersal wooden hut connected to station Ops by land line, often supplemented with a brockhouse trailer with office body and penthouse extensions. on some airfield the trailer was the only accom on a dispersed site.

Airfix do a fighter revettment, although the vehicles in the set are not of BoB period. BULL MODELS do a snipe, Matador do the Albion and other suitable items.

TED

And that QL has booms for post war Jets :??? I think thats right ? over to you Richard.

The booms on both the QL & AEC started to appear just prior to the end of hostilities, But only the aircraft and revetment is BoB period in the kit. - The trucks and even the figures are wrong- they are depicted in battledress, BoB period for both ground and aircrew was the skirted jacket.

TED

• 2 weeks later...