Redhill Steam Fair 2007 11 & 12 August.

Sorry you couldn't make it Mark. I'll try not to rub in how much fun we had :-D

Some pre-show photos 1st: this is tree moving 1940s stylie. We reckoned this trunk was about 5 tonnes. We had to move it to a different area of the site for one of the saw-benches to cut up and rather than let it dangle and swing about we thought we'd use the trailer.

We also had a group of re-enactors who set up a field gun emplacement and defended the old tennis courts (which incidentally were contructed for R&R purposes by Canadian soldiers stationed at Redhill aerodrome during WW2). They also fired the gun from the top of the hill during our site convoys, but my photo of that didn't come out very well.

Finally, special mention must go to the intrepid Markheliops who drove his 432 all the way from Paddock Wood and then spent the entire weekend playing on the off-road course and giving people rides around the site :tup: Here's the only photo I took of his 432 and our Spartan (ignore the ugly mug on the left :whistle:)

Why is he crying :dunno:

Just realised how much fuel I had used. :cry:

Thanks to Mike and Vince for a wicked weekend.

Sun was shinning and it was bl---y hot - too hot.

Special mention to Mikes team of eager helpers - always willing to get stuck in when I wanted tea. Very special mention to the looooovely Sarah - or sara - Vince's nookie - who made evening meal on Saturday - with Vince's help I must add. :-D

I have a couple of pics to add - soon, very soon.

All in all, although small, the show was good fun and it just goes to show size isn't everything. Where have I heard that one before.!!

The 432 behaved impeccably, on the way there, during the show and on the way back.

Even managed to source a supply of fuel for the armour so mega happy with that.

We managed a night out in Redhill - where Mike managed to pull a biker bird - she scared the hell out of me and Vince so hats off to Mike for that one. I ran out of the pub and battened down the hatch of the 432 - quaking in my boots. :-o

From now on - Mike will have a codename of bigballsmike. :-D

I'm surprised by the amount of attention the 432 received, especially from women. Perhaps you were right Vince - it was me and not the tank they were after. :-D

Anyway, will add the pics - you know to what I am referring Mike - a bit later.

Markheliops

As promised-

Mike was busy snapping away at the vehicles so I didn't bother but I did catch a few unusual shots.

No show of Mikes would be complete without a picture of:

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000002-2.jpg[/img]

Yes - it is THE knee of the tall one.

Together with his sidekick:

width=600 height=800http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000001-3.jpg[/img]

The (man) ? known as Vince.

I was a bit concerned when I stumbled upon Mikes living quarters. Now I always though Mike roughed it with the rest of us but I found disturbing evidence in his tent.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000004a.jpg[/img]

Mike made continual reference to his DOUBLE sized air bed - which did make me feel a bit uncomfortable. He took every opportunity to assure me how comfortable it was - yes Mike I'm sure it is but I'm OK in the 432 thanks. :whistle:

The clothes horse was a worrying site. Not sure what he hangs off it as I only ever see him in those damn shorts.!!

The tank pillows was a nice touch, to the hardened vets amongst us though.

Pictures a bit fuzzy but you can just make out a US armoured vehicle. Look Mike - if you want one just go and buy one! :dunno:

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000003.jpg[/img]

Last pic is of everyone having a good munch.

width=640 height=480http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/Markheliops/00000005-1.jpg[/img]

Cheers Mike and Vince. For those who are not aware - Mikes man (Vince) does the cooking and Mike does the washing up. He's a fair man that tootallmike. Ops, sorry, bigballsmike. :-D

Markheliops

Thanks for coming Mark. Especially enjoyed going to the pub in the 432, and going shopping in the 432. What did the staff at McDonalds make of it when you went for breakfast in it? Ken (the organiser) thanked us for taking the air cadets out as well.

Yes we did finally get the CVRT running, but just in time to load it to go home. Now it is tuned properly, i think the problem is that our fuel bedford fuel tank stack pipe is too small, as it ran well off a jerry can on the roof.

We got everything home safely, but we did have one split tyre on the trailer and another has gone flat.

I was so tired after my night shift last night that i slept for 11 hours and missed tonights shift. oh well, all in the name of good fun! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

A great show - Lets hope it continues - As I have just seen an article in the Local newspaper (Surrey Mirror) that says the organisers are retiring and this years show could have been the last, unless taken over by someone else.

Anyone got any futher Info ??.

Cheers.

Bob.

A great show - Lets hope it continues - As I have just seen an article in the Local newspaper (Surrey Mirror) that says the organisers are retiring and this years show could have been the last, unless taken over by someone else.

Anyone got any futher Info ??.

Cheers.

Bob.

I didn't think it was quite as official as for them to publicise it in the paper, but yes, it probably won't be at that site again. We are currently looking at other possible sites in the area. Any suggestions welcome...

Were you there this year then?

I didn't think it was quite as official as for them to publicise it in the paper, but yes, it probably won't be at that site again. We are currently looking at other possible sites in the area. Any suggestions welcome...

Were you there this year then?

Yes was there on the Saturday with the Family - Have been to all but a couple of shows over the last 20 yrs - hope it continues.

Off to "Tanks in Town" in Mons tommorow (Fri) - Will report on my return.

Cheers.

Bob.