LEZ and military vehicles ???

Adrian Scott

Question

Im going to the Military and Flying machines show at Damyns Hall Aerodrome on the 4 & 5 Aug with my Ward lafrance and friends Scammell Explorer and being a country boy all of this LEZ is new to me , are we exempt as both lorries are historic ???

Thanks Adrian.

14 answers to this question

Im going to the Military and Flying machines show at Damyns Hall Aerodrome on the 4 & 5 Aug with my Ward lafrance and friends Scammell Explorer and being a country boy all of this LEZ is new to me , are we exempt as both lorries are historic ???

Thanks Adrian.

Think so but the answer is to get it from the horses mouth so to speak. My RB44 isn't exempt as its only to Euro 3 standard and I think it needs to be Euro 4

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Check you're reg below

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-3

Depends on what the 110 has on the log book, a county station wagon no problem a UTILITY, regadless of body , you can't go in unless you pay. Go figure, it's a real *** fo the likes of me who go in and out of the zone in two hundred yard increnments.

Thanks Adrian.

Yes Adrian your vehicles are exempt, pre 1973, Damyns hall airfield site is also just outside the LEZ area as well so all vehicles are ok to go if you approach from the M25 direction and follow the signposted route

Edited by Nick Johns

Yes Adrian your vehicles are exempt, pre 1973, Damyns hall airfield site is also just outside the LEZ area as well so all vehicles are ok to go if you approach from the M25 direction and follow the signposted route

I just used the Low Emission Zone checker and it says Damyns is inside the zone

https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/zoneResults.faces

I just used the Low Emission Zone checker and it says Damyns is inside the zone

https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/zoneResults.faces

This was discussed on here ages ago, the show organisers are aware of the LEZ and stated that the airfied site is within the zone but the entrance for heavy vehicles is off of the road bordering the zone so all is ok, actually there are no LEZ cameras on the road anyway!

Edited by Nick Johns

actually there are no LEZ cameras on the road anyway!

Mobile LEZ Enforcement cameras are popping up all over the place.. I've seen mobile cameras withing 1/2 mile on Damnys so those that it affects make sure you follow the route the Essex MVT suggest.

The LEZ will be enforced through fixed and mobile cameras which will read your vehicle registration number plate as you drive within the LEZ and check it against a register of vehicles which meet the LEZ emissions standards, or are either exempt or registered for a 100% discount, or have paid the daily charge.

Depends on what the 110 has on the log book, a county station wagon no problem a UTILITY, regadless of body , you can't go in unless you pay. Go figure, it's a real *** fo the likes of me who go in and out of the zone in two hundred yard increnments.

I'm not sure it's quite that simple!

Pre 1973 are Exempt, so my 1954 Scammell and 1964 Militant can go in and out as often as I can afford!

As I understand it (although I'm more than willing to be corrected by anyone with greater direct experience!):

If it's your first incursion and your vehicle is not exempt, you should get a letter informing you that you can come in and out for the following 30 days without penalty, then it needs to gain exemption, pay the daily charge, or not return!

If it's a station wagon up to 9 seats you are ok as it counts as an estate, if more it might be considered to be a minibus, and be subject to the LEZ.

If it's diesel and a pick up it's commercial in their eyes and that's that.

However if it is a hard top diesel, with windows in the side, built between 1973, and 1998, with a seat or two fitted in the back, it counts as an estate, and can be registered with the LEZ. The process is slightly hidden on their website, but essentially involves writing a covering letter, along with 6 photos, including one of the rear inside through an open rear door??

I have to say a friends first attempt with his 3 door full length hard top, with windows was rejected on the basis that it was a crew cab!! He has pursued his case, and gained the exemption since.

Jules

Like any burucracy it depends on who you are dealing with. It appears information was taken lock stock and barrel from DVLA and just thrown in the air to se where it landed. I know of companies that have thier older vehciles acpted as exempt but three or four year old vehicles rejected! I can drive any vehicle I like from the yard, hald way bettween Swanley and Footscray to the Tesco store at Foots cray. Coming out, because the exit is no right turn I have to go about 400 meters down to the Crittals Corner round about. Then I can swing my 4 door Land Rover 200tdi round the roundabout and go back up the road. A two door Discovery 200tdi commercial, I have to take the first exit onto the A20 go about three miles back up to the Swanley turn off, then come back anoter two or three miles through Swanley to get back to where I started. Why? Because one half of the roundabaout is outside the LEZ, the other half is inside! :banghead:

Edited by Tony B

Thanks guys for all your help with my question regarding the LEZ , my thoughts are that there shouldnt be a problem driving historic vehicles to Daymns hall for there show in a weeks time , one of the organisers read this post and also contacted me regarding the LEZ ,now thats efficient .From talking to friends that are also attending with there Tanks i think there are at least 7 WW2 tanks that I know of going to be there , what a fantastic weekend in the making , I look forward to seeing you all there ,

Adrian

The LEZ only applies to diesel vehicles built after 1 January 1973 and classed as commercial.

So you should be OK with those 2 but you might struggle with a Landrover 110 diesel.

Mike

Dont think thats quite right ? my Diesel 2001 Fiat Motorhome is not allowed in and thats private not commercial.

This has all been discussed on here before eg. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?28061-LEZ-3rd-Jan-2012&highlight=low+emissions+zone

Search on here for 'Low Emissions Zone' for several other threads all going over the same ground.

Petrol vehicles are exempted.

Anything taxed as 'Historic' is exempted.

Land Rovers are an issue because of the way they can be one thing or another depending on body type. LEZ status is based on taxation class and body type as per the V5. For a Land Rover to be compliant it has to have body type as 'Estate' on the V5. Due to laziness on the part of Land Rover Ltd., most Defender shape vehicles were recorded as '4x4 Light Utility', even Station Wagons. As far as TfL are concerned, this means they are commercial variants. For the same reason a Discovery Commercial is non-compliant (4x4 Light Utility), while a standard Disco is ok (Estate). It is possible to have the body type of an individual vehicle changed by presenting DVLA with a current photo and a letter from Land Rover confirming that a vehicle was built as a Station Wagon. Once the DVLA database has been updated the vehicle should show as exempted. Any vehicle not built as a SW is non-compliant, full stop. You cannot modify a vehicle to resemble a SW as the chassis no will show that was not how it was built. I have heard third-hand stories of individual cases of people obtaining exemption by direct communication with TfL.

- MG