Jeep Transmission Temperature ?

Nickmow

I just completed repairing and refitting my Gearbox, Gave it all a good clean up and naturally changed out the oil in the process. Took out for a short run this afty, looking underneath after to see if it was still there :cool2:, Put hands on the transfer case and Gearbox, They were warm/hot. Not enough to burn but I wondered if that was normal. I'm sure some heat must come from the engine and exhaust. Never having even thought about it before, I'm here for a little reassurance or B. stop driving and check it out.

thanks chaps

Nick

All energy ends up as heat. When you consider all the stuff moving about in a gear box it does get warm. It would get a lot hotter and noiser if the oil wasn't there!:D If you can hold it it isn't overheating. One thing a lot of people neglect, check the breathers on axles. The oil expands when it gets hot and displaces the air in the axles, if not they over pressure and blow seals.

Since you cannot really qualify 'hot' its difficult to answer. 'Warm' yes, 'hot' no. If the gearbox is working properly and all parts are in order there should be no metal to metal contact (that's what the oil is for... ) But the oil will warm as it is put through the working parts.

Let the oil settle/cool then drain it. Look for metal bits in the oil. If you find any then something is rubbing and causing heat.

Thanks lads, I guess having never rebuilt a box before I'm just a little paranoid I messed it up. That said going thought the process has been quite satisfying. Oil levels are right so figure it's OK, I will drop the oil just to check, can always put it back In. I will let you know

Much appreciated

Nick

Since you cannot really qualify 'hot' its difficult to answer. 'Warm' yes, 'hot' no. If the gearbox is working properly and all parts are in order there should be no metal to metal contact (that's what the oil is for... ) But the oil will warm as it is put through the working parts.

Let the oil settle/cool then drain it. Look for metal bits in the oil. If you find any then something is rubbing and causing heat.

Agreed, You should be able to put your hand on the transfer case or gearbox and not feel the need to snatch it away.

The transfer case will feel significantly warmer however after 10 to 15 miles of operation at standard road speeds. The only thing I would add is if you can feel significantly more heat on the end caps of the transfer case intermediate bearings it may be an indication that the pre-load on the bearings is wrong, I would expect however to also be able to hear that, it will wine like a Banshee :wow:

Pete

One thing that you should double check is the transfer case oil level.

Improper assembly can lead to the gear oil in the transfer case litterally being pumped into the transmission, and the transfer case running low and getting hot.

My jeep is currently suffering from this as I put the bearing and oil slinger in backwards... just have not gotten time to sort it out.

Easy test is first thing, before you drive take off the cap on the transmission fill port. If oil pours out you are pumping oil from the transfer into the transmission and may need to buy the proper parts or install the parts you do have in the proper order.

Its a well discussed issue on G503.com

Good tip Deadline, I actually fitted the rear bearing, the one between gearbox and transfer case the wrong way round. Subsequently knackered the cover trying to get it out. Didn't even realise until I'd spent a day wrestling the whole lot into place and went to put the back cover on the transfer case. So I'm pretty sure it's all the right way round. (now).

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I'm convinced all is well now, just had a crisis of confidence but followed advice as given to a happy ending

thanks

Nick