Halftracks, what the.....!

Jack

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes thanks Neil - I might just stay with vehicles that reflect my status, - stylish, mature, hard working, dependable....see where I am going with this :-D

Bying a jeep then Jack ?? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Jack - 25k for a Half-Track is well excessive. A good friend of mine who is coming to Operation Bolero has just bought in my opinion, the best restored M16 in the UK - Ex Gary Howard, organiser of Military Odessey in Kent.

The vehicle is restored to the highest standard and it still didn't cost him 25k and the M16 varient is probably the most expensive.

Think you need to be looking in the 13 - 15 k region for a good example of something like an M5A1, M3 etc.

As previously stated, track wear is the biggest issue - Costly to buy a pair of tracks and heartbreaking to see them wear away!

But........it wouldn't stop me owning one!

Cds

I have to say that was one attraction of the Stuart M5A1. At least the tracks are metal, with rubber blocks, so you could use them until the rubber has worn away, and still continue to use them once down to the metal. Mitch Hickman from Shropshire was telling me at Stoneleigh in January that he wore the tracks on his Stuart right down on the Hells-Highway tour of Holland in September 1994, almost to the metal and I well remember seeing him driving through Eindehoven in the vehicle. 13 years on, and Mitch is still on those worn tracks - Ok so they make not look particularly good, but the vehicle is still usable and I think my Stuart will probably go the same way too.

The concern with a half track is that they are rubber tracks with metal wire strengtheners inside them, but most of them (even new old stocks ones) are several years old and not all have been stored sympathetically. Therefore you can experience a weakness in condition, if they have been stored without forth thought.

The thought of spending £1500 on a set of tracks only for one to break after limited use is a concern, but i'm sure their are far more experienced users out there who could advise better, maybe even from experience.

cds

• 9 months later...

Half track with 37mm in tow

419059369_ae9342e89c.jpg

French caption

Devant l'église de Roncey, des blindés allemands détruits, une voiture civile, des civils regardent passer un convoi américain.

Au fond, détruits : un tracteur semi-chenillé Sdkfz 7 équipé avec un 20mm Anti-Aérien quadruple, à côté un Marder III

Sur la route un Half-Track M3A1 de la Maintencance Co, d'un Armored Regiment, de la 3rd Armored Div. tracte un canon Anti-Tank de 37mm.

Photo prise le 1 août, les allemands encerclés dans la poche de Roncey suite à la percée de Cobra se sont rendus entre le 28 et le 30 juillet 1944 aux américains des VII et VIII US Corps

translation

In front of l' church of Roncey, of the destroyed German armoured tanks, a civil car, civilians look at passing an American convoy. At the bottom, destroyed: a half-track tractor Sdkfz 7 equipped with a 20mm Anti-aircraft quadruple, at side Marder III On the road a Half-track vehicle M3A1 of Maintencance Co, d' Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Div. tractor draw an Anti-Tank gun of 37mm. Photo catch on August 1, German encircled in the pocket of Roncey following the opening of Cobra went between the 28 and on July 30, 1944 to American of the VII and VIII US Body

Edited by abn deuce
added translation