Well done to Harry ...

Well done to my Son Harry for passing his driving test.. not so well done to the Insurance companies..

It's just cost him £3,500 to get his first car insured, only a 1.4 Fiesta.. some quotes were more than double that.

To get it as low as he could he used http://www.ingenie.com/?gclid=CP2npvHCq7ACFUxlfAodIiWdXg & has to have a Black Box fitted to monitor his driving.. He also had to add me as a named driver to get cover. Having a posted code almost on top of J28 M25 didn't help..

No wonder there are more teenagers than ever driving with no Insurance whith premiums like that...

Well done Harry! The 'black box' is a complete waste of space and in my opinion an added dnger! We have the system fitted to the buses. You can end up driving to please the box, not the road conditions. The most obvious is that it does not understand the diffrence bettween screaming around and braking hard, or a 'controlled' can't say 'Emergency' any more, stop when some goon with the ear phones in, absorbed in texting walks out in front of you.

bloody expensive eh but why did he not go for a 1 litre car?

He did get quotes for 1litre cars they came out more, the Fiesta 1.4 Ghia is even cheaper to insure than a 1.2 Fiesta standard car.. go figure??

Cripes I dunno how a youngster is expected to get out on the road and get a job going and all those things they're supposed to do in this day and age.....I thought it was bad enough when my boy passed his test 6 years or so ago...he had a 1L Fiesta which I gave £400 quid for and the insurance was £1200....and that was well bad enough..

......makes my £500 quid Capri and £37 for Third Party Insurance seem a bit more reasonable I guess.:-\..then again... that was a considerable time ago :-D

. The most obvious is that it does not understand the diffrence bettween screaming around and braking hard, or a 'controlled' can't say 'Emergency' any more, stop when some goon with the ear phones in, absorbed in texting walks out in front of you.

Oh I think it would Tony... Braking hard once in a while & steaming up to every juntion & braking hard or braking hard into every corner are different things.. can't see a problem with the black box.. if his driving is good after 3months he gets £300 back & if still a good record he gets another £300 back.. that's a pretty good discount..

Cripes I dunno how a youngster is expected to get out on the road and get a job going and all those things they're supposed to do in this day and age.....
He' just a little bit better off now as he can drive to work, it was costing him £380 month in train fares with nothing to show for it.. at least he has a car on the road for his money now.

He did get quotes for 1litre cars they came out more, the Fiesta 1.4 Ghia is even cheaper to insure than a 1.2 Fiesta standard car.. go figure??

Or as quoted to me by one insurance company wanting to double my premium 'Some years an Insurance company will have more customers than others'. To my reply 'Well if customers are leaving haven't you worked out it is due to high premiums and lousy service?' The phone went down.:-D

Well done Harry! The 'black box' is a complete waste of space and in my opinion an added dnger! We have the system fitted to the buses. You can end up driving to please the box, not the road conditions. The most obvious is that it does not understand the diffrence bettween screaming around and braking hard, or a 'controlled' can't say 'Emergency' any more, stop when some goon with the ear phones in, absorbed in texting walks out in front of you.

AFAIK the telematics fitted to young drivers cars has no driver feedback

It just records driving style and such like

Just been through this with Boy Mk1.

He took his Dad's advice, and we got him a 1958 Morris 1000.

£600 a year insurance, in his own name.

The sad thing is, he was desperate to get in his jeep, but due to the engine size the quotes were more than eye watering! So that will have to wait for a while.

Ken

AFAIK the telematics fitted to young drivers cars has no driver feedback

It just records driving style and such like

It does have driver feedback.. http://www.ingenie.com/driving-feedback

Driving feedback

We spend the first few weeks becoming familiar with your driving style. You'll then receive regular driver feedback via the ingenie app or online, with the cost of your car insurance reviewed every three months.

ingenie is all about creating better, safer drivers. We provide simple feedback on your driving to help you improve. You can then take responsibility not only for the way you drive, but also for how much you pay for your car insurance. Quite simply, drive well and you could pay less.

How do you assess my driving?

The ingenie box collects data on acceleration, braking, speed, cornering and swerving. This data is analysed and used to build up a picture of your driving ‘DNA’. We assess how you drive and look for trends in your driving style - we don't look at minor incidences of driving and the ingenie box is not a speeding camera in disguise.

When will I receive my feedback?

Once the box is fitted, we spend the first few weeks becoming familiar with your driving style. You will then receive regular feedback to let you know how you are driving.

How do I reduce the cost of my insurance?

The cost of your insurance is reviewed every three months, rather than once a year like most insurers. If you have driven well enough to receive a discount, this will be deducted from your direct debit if you pay monthly, or via a rebate if you pay annually. Your insurance can also go up in the event of reckless driving, but we do protect you with a capped price and our driver feedback should prevent you from getting into this situation.

How can I access my feedback?

Your driver feedback is available from our smartphone app and also on our website via the ‘my account’ tab on the home page. Access is quick and easy, allowing you to check your feedback or share it with others at any time.

What does my feedback mean?

Your ingenie driving data is fed back to you in simple, colour-coded messages designed to help you improve your driving.

Green messages indicate that in general you are driving well, and the cost of your insurance could come down.

Amber messages are tips to help you improve your driving skills.

Red messages are to warn you that there is a serious problem with your driving, and that you need to take action.

Black messages are rare and the most serious. Black messages will only appear if you are driving dangerously, or if you have not improved your driving after several red messages.

Just been through this with Boy Mk1.

He took his Dad's advice, and we got him a 1958 Morris 1000.

£600 a year insurance, in his own name.

The sad thing is, he was desperate to get in his jeep, but due to the engine size the quotes were more than eye watering! So that will have to wait for a while.

Ken

It's a bit of a post code lottery, if he lived with his mum 30 miles away in Southend-on-Sea it would be £900 cheaper for the insurance.. if he was a girl the premiums are on average 50% less..

well done should have gone for a ex mil landrover ready for w&p . :-)

Young driver with a 2.25 litre engine - poor lad would have to rob the Bank of England to pay the premium!!!

And on the topic of insurance cost - just got my renewal for the MV's - it soared to £340 this year. When I queried it with the broker I was told the insurance companies are racking up all policies by between 30% and 40% because of the increasing claims due to uninsured drivers....

As TonyB says - it ain't rocket science to work out that cutting the premiums would reduce the uninsured claims... I guess they are just too damn greedy!!!

It's a bit of a post code lottery, if he lived with his mum 30 miles away in Southend-on-Sea it would be £900 cheaper for the insurance.. if he was a girl the premiums are on average 50% less..

It is now illegal to discriminate bettween sexes in car insurance. And to quote our engineering director about Telematics 'It was 6 million quid we could have spent more usefully'. Harry has his head screwed on and understands how dangerous motor vehicles can be. No doubt like all of us did he's going to scare himself a few times, but he'll develop his experience. Its when he drives Lee for the first time I'll be feeling sorry for him! :D I knew a guy who at 23 was refused cover on a 1600 cc car. The insurance claimed he didn't have enough experience. Fine, except for his day job. Pushing a 40 foot Scania Omnicity bus around London! My son is 24 this year, so I may be able to cover him on the Dodges.

Edited by Tony B

That price is a little high eh, i thought the £700 for my Disco 3 and £500 for my capri was exsesive, still at 22 im doing better than my mate that still pays £1800 for his Z4

That price is a little high eh, i thought the £700 for my Disco 3 and £500 for my capri was exsesive, still at 22 im doing better than my mate that still pays £1800 for his Z4

Channel Islands are dirt cheap compard to UK! After all if there nicked, where the hell are they going to go? Entire Island speed limit is 30 mph or 40 mph.

It is now illegal to discriminate bettween sexes in car insurance.

That may be so but when he was getting online quotes & ticked the female box the quotes dropped..

Its when he drives Lee for the first time I'll be feeling sorry for him! grin.gif

We did that one yesterday after I picked his car up for him as he was at work.. he took me for a short drive.. 20 miles later..

Edited by Marmite!!