Sick of this

Bedfordrl

Last night my son coming home from work caught a couple of thieves syphoning petrol from my Range Rover, he shouted at them and they buggered off leaving an empty gallon can and a hose pipe.

I checked the Bedford and the fuel cap was on but the padlock was cut and the filler pipe was missing.

I called the police and they took away the evidence .

I went off to bed ,this was after 23:00 , and lay wondering why the gallon can was empty when they had had a go at the Bedford, I then went back out and looked in the nearby hedge and found the filler pipe,undamaged, and a pair of bolt cutters and a five gallon drum full of petrol.

Police re-called and they took away the bolt cutters and there is a new padlock on the Lorry.

The Bedford lives in the front garden because where it was before it got lumps of concrete thrown through the windows and other damage.

In the front garden I left the canvas on, it is a GS, as it is cheaper to replace the canvas than cope with serious wood and metal water damage, someone thought it would be fun to set fire to it.

It now lives with the canvas off and has rust and rot issues and now is obviously seen as a target for free fuel.

We now sleep at night with the windows open jumping up at any sudden noise, today I will be working out a way of putting security lights around it if I can but I am just sick of having to protect my property from utter bastards.

Not exactly 'legal' and i'm sure in some 'countries' they would sue.... but we used to have a similar issue on a rural property.. It stopped very quickly after certain parts of the vehicle suddenly developed strange, anti earthing properties during peak times of darkness.

Also had tampering issues that was solved with the use of 'blue dye'. Same stuff as used in cash transport bags. The dye doesnt come out for weeks.

It is always very disheartening when idiots mess with your property.

Just to illustrate the gravity of your current situation, when I was a young man driving in the early 1950s we used to leave the keys in some of our vehicles, even whilst parked on the highway overnight. ( We had to use marker lights in those days during hours of darkness.) Lots of our vehicles were fitted with ignition switches rather than a key, but I do not ever recall a case of theft of vehicle or fuel. As my late grandfather (WW1 veteran) used to say to me.... its a beautiful world son..... its just the people in it..... I really do not know what the answer is anymore, I only know that I would not swop my early life with anyone today.

Fill an old jerry can with a couple of pints of petrol or disiel and any other liquid junk you can find and 'forget' you have left it in view. Very satisfiying to see a vehicle on the side of the road with the bonnet up.

Just get some contam from a garage, that way it doesn't cost you anything.

Just get some contam from a garage, that way it doesn't cost you anything.

Oh that's no fun! I'd suggest a couple of good handfuls of grinding swarf off the workshop floor , just to add spice. :cool2:

Proven recipe on a fuel thief some years back, one three month old Disiel Mazda pick up + one jerry can of stolen fuel= one new engine, tank, fuel system and filters.

We didn't used to have any trouble on the farm when we had geese and a very large sheepdog who was always loose and just 'loved' thieves and scrapmen. Dogs always seem to be able to pick a bad 'un and the geese just hated everybody.:D

Sadly we can't leave dogs loose anymore, they just get poisoned.

Good old fashioned 12 bore alarm mines, eh oh sorry, I didn't relaise your supposed to use blank cartridges. Guinea Fowl, we had some on a yard I worked on, you couldn't take a breath with out the ugly little sods raising the roof.