Help ferret smoke bombs

signalcorps

P1030031.JPGI have a British smoke bombs that has been deleted marking and I would like to know which is correct to paint again.

The boats are like the one pictured

I think they are used in smoke launchers ferret, and other British vehicles.

thanks.

P1030030.JPG

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive a thread from the dead! :cool2:

Having difficulty picturing the sequence of operations for loading/firing a grenade.

Pull the pin, stick it in? :nut:

Won't that handle have to come off first? How does the electrically-discharged side of things work?

Alec.

The way it was explained to me was that there is a small "launching charge" at the bottom of each tube. The smoke grenade is inserted into the tube (after the charge) and the pin is removed. The circumfrance of the tube is tight enough to hold the grenade spoon down so as not to activate said 'nade.

When they are needed, the charges are activated by a crewmen (driver?) and that launches the SGs into a pattern in front of the vehicle creating a smoke screen in which the vehicle can either withdraw/advance. A common "whoopsie" was to accidentally leave the pins in and launch the grenades....

Matt

• 8 years later...

Reviving an old thread

I am researching a WW2 Canadian Army smoke grenade launcher which launched the no 80 smoke grenade via an electrical discharge and igniter system.

The ww2 device sounds very similar to this one for the Ferret - does anyone have any drawings or photos for the Ferret unit which shows how it works please?

Thanks

Tim

13 hours ago, gordonb said:

You want Fuse F103.

Image (16).jpg

Excellent - thanks - that helps visualise how the firing circuit was connected also. The WW2 Canadian war diaries indicate their system used "Electric Detonator no 14" - which I assume must have been a very similar device. 

What publication and date is your extract from please and would I be able to reference it on my facebook page with or without the image?

The Canadian smoke discharger is as seen on the top of this Sherman Firefly in April 1945.

Many thanks

Tim

4CAN-Oldenburg-Apr45-3-extract.png

Here is a bit more info with regard to Ferrets, Saladins and others of that ilk and era. These two scans are taken from the Saladin User Handbook, might be the Technical Handbook, and the Saladin Armament Handbook. If you want the exact publications just say and I will dig them out.

Image (17).jpg

• Like 1

Memory playing me false again. The relevant publications are RAC Training Volume III Armament. Pamphlet 18 Saladin Armoured Car 1965 and Pamphlet 12 Saracen Mks 1 and 2 and Ferret Mk2 1957.

A nice demo at shows is to show that a Sainsburys canned G&T is a perfect fit in a discharger.

gmb

On 9/13/2021 at 2:06 PM, gordonb said:

Memory playing me false again. The relevant publications are RAC Training Volume III Armament. Pamphlet 18 Saladin Armoured Car 1965 and Pamphlet 12 Saracen Mks 1 and 2 and Ferret Mk2 1957.

A nice demo at shows is to show that a Sainsburys canned G&T is a perfect fit in a discharger.

gmb

Thankyou - much appreciated.

I like to know where the evidence for things has some from so will add that to my notes.

Tim