Just to lower the tone somewhat...

Eaglehurst

Yes! only RN issue were white , Remeber the old song? Do, your B**l's hang low? Might have been made for them. Particullaly nasty for a growing boy if the essentials get caught bettween them and outer garment! :nut:

Edited by Tony B
Spelling: My eyes were watering at the memory whilst typing.

Draws, Cellular I was issued three pairs of these as standard issue when I joined in the late seventies!

NEARLY everyone who was issued them, almost ALL never wore them!!!!!!!

I mean, who would be seen dead wearing a pair of these?...........

We found them to be exceptionaly good for cleaning window glass on Bull nights!.............;)

The original Y-front "shreddies"......:-D I think we are looking at 70s issue here, as they carry a NSN which were generally not displayed on labels until the late 60s........possibly worn with the matching "shreddie" vest (I think I have one somewhere)........there were several different varieties of issue green underwear, from the "boxer" style in a nice cool poplin or the usual "shreddie" fabric, plus a rather nice V-neck T-shirt in similar......were all the latter tropical issue...?

I have most in the collection somewhere, all NOS.......thinking about it, who would want "used" smalls...???!!!!:wow: I suspect that "issue" underwear, unless for specific climates under health grounds, went out during the early 70s...? By my time, you had to provide your own......:-\

The original Y-front "shreddies"......:-D I think we are looking at 70s issue here, as they carry a NSN which were generally not displayed on labels until the late 60s........possibly worn with the matching "shreddie" vest (I think I have one somewhere)........there were several different varieties of issue green underwear, from the "boxer" style in a nice cool poplin or the usual "shreddie" fabric, plus a rather nice V-neck T-shirt in similar......were all the latter tropical issue...?

I have most in the collection somewhere, all NOS.......thinking about it, who would want "used" smalls...???!!!!:wow: I suspect that "issue" underwear, unless for specific climates under health grounds, went out during the early 70s...? By my time, you had to provide your own......:-\

I have a pair of NOS 1950's issue "boxer" style poplin shorts which, to be fair, I wouldn't gag at being seen in. WTF happened between 1950s and 1970s that resulted in these monstrosities?! Was this a cruel joke from the procurement folks over in Whitehall?!:wow:

The white type were a nightmare for skid marks. Usual practice was to have two pairs startched and ironed, purley for kit inspection. Who designed them, I have no idea and don't want to! The gusset hung about 4 inches lower than any normal person.

The white type were a nightmare for skid marks. Usual practice was to have two pairs startched and ironed, purley for kit inspection. Who designed them, I have no idea and don't want to! The gusset hung about 4 inches lower than any normal person.

Obviously designed for wear with 60 and 68 pattern combat strides then....:-D The waistband would sit just below your armpit.....and the crutch seam about 6 inches beneath your tackle.......

Navy working kit was No8. The original were molekin type material trousers with cross belts at waist and an issue money belt (Being the Navy it would hold about three 2p coins ) in Dark Blue with a light blue Heavy cotton N0 8 shirt. Sea Jersey crew neck worn underneath in Winter. Trouble was the draws keep hanging out the bottom and catching on your boot lacres. :D

Yes I remember them well though I never worn them, but when I was on my 1st Class training and was stationed at Martinique barracks in Bordon in 81, in the NAFFI one night there were some stripper entertainment and they plucked a young cook from the audience still in his whites and proceeded to raunchily undress him down to his pants only, which were the Army Issue ones as shown in the picture, it certainly raised the roof that night.

We used to tell the newbies into the platoon that when we go parachuting or on exercise they need to wear these underwear items as issued or the were not insured hehe. Got them issued in 74 and still on my clothing list (kept pristine until I discharge and finally hand back my kit)

Gary

Don't really know what to say...anyone have any experience with the likes of these beauties...?:red:

When were they issued?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61208[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61209[/ATTACH]

is this where the beast of bolsover used to hang out !

Any idea when these were introduced...and (thankfully) phased out!

Drawers, cellular, short were around before NATO codification in 1953, the VAOS code was CC 0091-8

As an alternative CC 1151-5 Drawers, muslin, green could be issued in lieu.